6 • no more secrets

Jasper went home yesterday and this sucks. He couldn't stay another few weeks until my birthday but he said they'd try to come back and celebrate with me nearer the time.

I slip my red skirt and black t-shirt on with some black heeled boots, grabbing the bag Alice and Jazz got me for Christmas. I really actually do love it but don't tell them!

I head out of my dorm building and begin the short walk to campus. I'm just about to cross the road when I feel someone tap my shoulder. "Ivy?"

I turn around and gasp. "J-james..."

There he stands. My father. He's in his work uniform, I don't know whether he's just coming from there or just going there. He's aged well, he doesn't look much different from my memories.

"You came to see me, Christmas day. How did you find me?"

I look up at him in shock, trying to find my voice. "U-um I was looking into my family tree for a class and it came up." I lie.

"So what, you're here to find me?"

"No. That's just a creepy coincidence." I frown at his town. "I go to college here. Psychology."

"Oh." He nods. "Glad to see you doing well. Is your mom still around?"

I swallow hard and look at my shoes. "I don't speak to her. She's not my problem anymore."

"Right... well I'd appreciate it if you didn't come to my work. My family might see you."

Family. Huh. I scoff and shake my head a little. "Fine whatever. Have a nice life dad."

I turn around and storm off. "Ivy, wait-!"

I don't see the car as it smashes into my side, sending me flying. I hit the floor with a smack and lay there for a moment, blinking slowly. Then the pain in my leg starts.

I scream out and grab it as James runs over. "Ivy, honey, don't move. Try lay still." He says as he quickly talks into his radio.

"It hurts!" I yell, pushing his hand off me as I sit up. I have a few scrapes on my elbows and hands but my entire left leg hurts - it's agony.

"Always stubborn." He mutters and orders people to stay back and for the driver to stay where he is.

I groan and grab my phone, shaking as I dial Jasper. "Ivy!?! What's happened!"

How does he know something happened? "J-Jazz, it hurts." I groan.

James takes my phone before I can react and starts demanding who's talking. I watch his facial expressions change from angry to confused to calm. He nods and speaks to Jasper away from ear shot before he hangs up and hands the phone back.

"Your brothers on his way. Since when did you have a brother?"

I ignore him, in too much pain to focus in his sudden mood change. Jerk.

***

"You've broken your ankle, shattered your knee and dislocated your hip and left shoulder." The doctor says as he shows us the xrays.