4 • surprise

I stand under the shower water, letting it relax my aching muscles. Jasper went home, but promised to be back soon. He says he lives in Seattle which is like over 2500 miles away. Surely the journeys are tiring him out but he doesn't complain. I did tell him to leave me now, I'm not his problem, but he's been pretty consistent over the last 2 weeks.

He left me some money, got me some clothes and paid for a nice hotel room for me to stay in - money apparently isn't a problem for a 170 odd year old - and he hasn't complained once. I did, but he refused to listen to me.

I dry my hair off and climb out of the shower wrapping a towel around my body and hair, rubbing it gently. I change into loose shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt, letting my hair naturally dry. I sit on the couch and then start flicking through the tv.

I'm half way through Home Alone 2 when there's a gentle knock at the door. I pause the movie and frown - who could that be...?

I cautiously creep over to the door and look through the peep hole. I don't recognise the small, petite girl stood there, her face blank.

I slowly open the door. "Y-yes?"

"Is Jasper there?" She asks, her face annoyed. She looks beautiful despite her annoyance, her skin pale and her hair chopped short.

She knows Jazz... "N-no he isn't..."

"Then where is he? You reek of him." She turns her nose up.

I swallow hard. "He hasn't been here in over a week. I'm sorry."

She pushes the door open and walks in looking around. "Who the hell are you?"

"I'm... I'm just a friend. He helped me out." I lie and wrap my arms around myself to try and calm my racing heart.

She searches every room and her eyes land on the jacket he keeps lending me. "He told me he lost that."

I shrug small, not sure what to say. Jasper wouldn't lose anything so I doubt she believed him - it probably added to whatever suspicion she had. I swallow hard. "I can call him?"

"Don't bother, I'll find him."

She slams the door as she leaves briskly, leaving me to sink to the floor as I exhale slowly, my heart racing. I thought he had found me, that he would drag me back there and finish me off. Or that my mother has come to have me sent away again, locked up for good this time.

I shakily grab the painkillers and take 3, downing the bottle of water. I need to go to the pharmacy, I'm almost out. And I don't want to be here if she comes back.

I slide some joggers on and decide to attempt to jog to the pharmacy, well to find a pharmacy. I slip my headphones on and put my phone on aeroplane mode to block his calls or texts. He might be mad at me for answering the door, I promised I wouldn't.

I take the elevator to the lobby and rush out, beginning my jog through the streets. They all look fancy - just like the hotel is - and are filled with expensive apartment blocks and restaurants and retail stores.

I keep my eyes ahead as I lightly jog, ignoring the ache in my knee and the throb in my ribs still. I find a small pharmacy and go to the painkillers, buying the strongest I can over the counter. I show my ID and hand the man the money silently, tucking the bottle in my pocket with my purse.

"Thanks." I mumble and leave the store, walking for a bit. I stop at a coffee shop and get myself a muffin and coffee, talking my time to get back to the hotel.

My earphones hang around my neck as I walk down the hall, freezing when I see the door is ajar. I slowly push it open and exhale in relief when I see Jasper.