19 • father

I take a deep breath as I hear Alec back from his short hunt, sitting up on the couch. "He's gonna be upset." I mutter to Jasper.

"He'll just be worried." Jasper reassures me as he runs his hand through my hair.

Alec comes in moments later with a smile on his handsome face, only it slowly fades when he sees me cuddled into Jasper as Alice has her hand lightly laid on my ribs to keep them cool - sometimes their cold temperature comes in handy!

"Sweetheart!?" He frowns and kneels in front of me.

"I..." I blush deeply as Jasper and Alice giggle. "I slipped in the bath. Sorry." I smile sheepishly.

"Why didn't you call!? Are you okay?!" He asks, panicked, as he cups my face. His honey colored eyes scan my face.

I touch his cheek gently. "3 broken ribs.... oops?"

He sighs and looks down as he exhales slowly. "You will be the death of me, Ivy-Rose." He mutters to himself before he looks up at me; his eyes soften. "I'm never leaving you alone again. Seriously - You're a trouble magnet."

I giggle small but wince. "Owe. I know, I'm okay with that though." I smirk small.

He looks at Jasper. "May I?"

Jasper nods and sits be up gently as he slides out, laying me on Alec once he's slid where Jasper once sat. I wrap my arms around him and sigh as I cuddle into him. "Missed you."

"I missed you too." He kisses my head and holds me so gently, as if I'll break just from the slightest touch. Sometimes it feels like that with my family - they all act the same way around me.

"What is it with you guys." I grumble.

Jasper laughs from the other couch. "Excuse you?"

"You all treat me like I'll snap if you touch me."

"I think 3 broken ribs is a perfect example of how fragile you are." Alec points out.

"Can you guys maybe hate each other again? At least then I'll maybe win an argument." I sit up a little and cross my arms gently.

Alec, Alice and Jasper laugh. "You hated us despising one and other, yet now you hate us tolerating each other?" Jasper shakes his head, that smile I love on his handsome face.

"What can I say, us humans have complicated emotions." I mutter.

"You're telling me." He rolls his eyes.

I throw a pillow at him as the others laugh; Carlisle brings me a glass of water and some pain killers. I thank him sheepishly and take them as Alec sighs. "What, I'm going to have to bathe you too now?"

"I would complain." I lay my head on his shoulder, cuddling up tiredly.

"Lazy." He kisses my head.

I just hum and close my eyes, dozing. He's comfier than you'd imagine.

-

I was right. He won't touch me, and he doesn't even know it was him that broke my ribs! Argh! I sigh and lay in bed staring at the ceiling as I head Alec, Emmett, Alice and Jasper all talking downstairs, about some exciting hunting trip they're planning on taking.

I haul myself up and sigh as I slip a hoodie on, heading downstairs. They all look over and smile when they see me. "Hey baby." Alec opens his arms.

I just grumble and head to the kitchen; I flick the kettle on a little more aggressive than I intended to and lean my forehead on the counter enjoying the cold temperature of it. I feel someone come in behind me and lean next to me. "What ever is the matter?" Alice says softly.

I look up at her with narrowed eyes. 'I. Need. Sex.' I mouth to her, not caring how she'll react I just wouldn't want Jazz to hear. Her eyes widen and she clenches her fists, only she can't say anything because she too doesnt want to deal with Jasper and his eccentric emotions and mood swings he sometimes has.

'No!' She mouths, her eyes angry.

I roll my eyes and make myself a coffee, putting 4 sugars in. I don't know what pissed her off more - the coffee, the sugar or the need for sex. But either way she scoops me in her arms and runs out of the house with me, to the trees between ours and the other Cullens house. She sets me down on a bed of smooth rocks and looks over at me angrily.

"C'mon, Ivy! Do you have a death wish!?" She yells.

I roll my eyes and cross my legs. "C'mon, Alice, you know how it feels."

"At least when I have sex I don't almost die each time!" She snaps.

"I don't die c'mon, you really are a drama queen." I laugh. "Alice, I trust him. More than Jasper sometimes." I admit, looking at the rocks under me. "And if I do die I want to die knowing I had as much sex as I can."

Alice is silent for a moment before she laughs and sits beside me, sighing as she looks at me sideways. "You're truly one of a kind, Ivy. I just worry about how... naive you can be; you don't seem to understand danger. I seriously think you're more hazardous than Bella was."

"No I do, trust me. I know what Alec can do so easily to me if he wanted - I know he sometimes wishes for Jane's love again. I... I hate to admit but sometimes I dive into his thoughts. It's a dark place." I whisper. I glance at Alice and raise an eyebrow. "Oh come on, you knew!?"

"You can't hide a gift like that from me." She giggles. "Plus, I know you like the back of my hand. Edwards a little jealous, I find it funny." She grins.

I laugh and roll my eyes as I lay back on the rocks, sighing. Alice lays beside me and I lean my head on her shoulder. "I know you see the future.. I know you see it based on the decisions someone makes." I start. She hums as if to say carry on. "Well - I mean, well what would have happened to me if Jasper never found me?" I glance over at her.

"I don't know exactly... there was a moment when you decided you didn't want us to take care of you and I saw.." She hesitates and takes a deep breath, looking over at me. "I saw you end up in a dark place. So dark I hate to think about it; and every time we fight and you decide you might run, I see something I don't like and I come running back, even if I don't agree with you. Because as long as you are here, you're safe. As safe as can be with a sadistic vampire boyfriend and his twisted twin sister after you." She giggles small.

I giggle too and sigh. "I really should be more thankful for you and Jazz..."

"We know you're thankful, sweetie." Alice kisses my head and I smile. She truly was meant to be the mother in my life.

-

I lay in bed beside Alec that evening, reading a book as he plays with my messy ponytail. My phone rings and I reach for it, not looking away; just as I answer Alice bursts in.

"Wait-"

"Hello?" I say as I look at her, raising an eyebrow.

"Ivy? Hey, it's James. Whitlock. James Whitlock." The man says, sounding entirely nervous. "Its your dad."

I sit up instantly and Alice crosses her arms huffing, a blatant 'I told you so' gesture. I swallow hard as Alec frowns deeply beside me. "James... hi. How did- how did you get my number?"

"Uh long story." He laughs nervously. "How you doing?"

I stare at the covers as I take a shaky breath. "I don't think I want to do this James; please just tell me why you called."

"I... I'm being honoured at a rather big award ceremony held for people of the public forces. I really hoped my eldest daughter could be there with the rest of my family." James says slowly as my heart skips a little.

"I... I..." I stutter for a moment. "I'll have to let you know." I whisper. "Bye James." I swiftly hang up and throw the phone aside as Alice sits on the edge of the bed and Alec begins to rub my back.

"A little more warning next time, Alice." Alec snaps as he pulls me into his chest. I let out a shaky breath as I stare at the wall.

What does he want?

Why does he want me to go?

Is it a trick from Jane? Did she get to him?