Chapter 24 -- War

Michael woke up to the sound of old Makoyii snoring. The sound filled the entire crowded cavern where Michael and fifteen others slept. Michael rolled onto his back. His shoulders ached, and he couldn't decide if the ache came from sleeping on the rock or the training Kill put him through on a daily basis.

For the most part he was enjoying his new life; it was simple. When it was time for the people to sleep, he slept; when it was time to eat, he ate; and when it was time to fight, he fought. The one thing he wasn't enjoying was Jane. Michael couldn't understand her, she was distant. Michael knew she didn't sleep as much as she used to, but even when she was awake the usual Jane wasn't there. For a while he thought it was the language barrier, but he spoke to her most of the time in Akai'nii and he knew she understood.

Michael glanced over at the body armour hanging on the wall, the dull glow of the tube light making it look darker than usual. The body armour was made from a combination of elements originating from the planet and smelted using old earth techniques. The combination of new and old had produced something thin yet strong, movable yet impenetrable. Michael spent hours taking his apart, and then reassembling it again. He couldn't get over the ingenuity in the design. He speculated why no one had designed something like it on all the planets under control of Earth, but the only answer he could give himself was the age-old phrase – necessity is the mother of invention. No one on all the planets under control of Earth had to fight as hard as the Akai'nii to stay alive. And when they weren't fighting they were making what they had better.

Michael spent most of his day training. He was eager to learn anything, from anyone. He thought he knew how to move, how to fight—not like these people. They moved like the wind: powerful and strong, unpredictably, yet at times soft and subtle enough to be undetectable. What amazed Michael the most was how they could find an advantage in any situation, no matter how bleak. Truly, their greatest skill was their resourcefulness. But then again, to call this lump of gray rock home, they would have to be.

Once, Michael asked John if Kill was the leader of the tribe. John answered that in a manner of speaking, yes he was, but that everyone was a leader in the right situation. John's answer seemed in keeping with Michael's other observations. It was like all the people were grains of sand: the wind can toss them into the air, violently if desired, but it doesn't matter how they fall, everyone falls into place. Even though he wouldn't admit it, John was a leader too. Michael could tell by the way the people treated John. Whatever he had done, it had gained him deep respect.

Michael looked to where John slept, his blanket was already rolled up and set against the wall. Michael stood and stretched. He rolled up his blanket and placed it beside John's. Michael was careful not to disturb the others as he left.

All the machines, the dune buggies, everything the Akai'nii had, was scavenged from the cities, back when they still went into the cities. Most possessions were precious and could not be replaced. The only thing that was plentiful was weaponry. This was another source of confusion for Michael. It was obvious to him that this planet had been inhabited for a long time. It made sense in some ways, like where it sat in the system map. It was close to Earth, and among the systems that had been discovered and settled first. The planet had also suffered a disaster, that was obvious, but why no one had ever heard of it Michael didn't know. And why the planet had so many different weapons manufacturers also made no sense. What had been going on here? What were they preparing for? If what John described was right, they had amassed huge amounts of weapons and then abandoned them. And no one ever came back.

Michael passed a child hiding in the shadows of a tower of stacked cases. The cases were black, some had a strip of aluminium around the opening edges, some were made entirely of metal. The Akai'nii melted down the metals and found clever uses for the plastic, they used the linings to make clothing, nothing was wasted. The child put her finger up to her mouth communicating to Michael not to divulge her location. Michael winked at her as he passed.