Chapter 43 -- Hidden in the Heart

The Akai'nii moved deeper into the building. Gliding silently through passages that were well kept, well lit, and as yet—seemingly unused. Jane mused on the wasted spaces, she had to admit that there was security in this, for isn't it always better to have more than less: more is the fall back, more is protection, more is insurance.

Substation –Onefour. These were the English words emblazoned on the walls and once again, recognition was upon Jane. These words were written in an identical font as Substation – North Bay, the building with the other Jane's office. They were not in the section Jane had explored with Ibber and Harris, but Jane had seen enough of both buildings to make a guess that they were identical.

When they reached the kitchen, Jane took Evan as far away from the others as she could get, she could tell the crowds were upsetting him. They passed empty metal counters, and closed drawers and cupboards, these forgotten fixtures hiding whatever unused contents they contained. When she set him down, he pressed himself into the tiled corner as far as he could possibly go and closed his eyes. Jane scanned the area for Miriam. She broke through the crowd, Miien behind her, already heading towards them.

"Why does Seehoiah never come here?"

"No questions Jane."

Jane nodded, accepting that she would have to wait.

The clinking sound of glass and metal could be heard. "Thank Kata'ahohpi we'll be eating soon. I'm so weary." Miriam sank down beside Evan. She reached her hand out to him, but then reconsidered. Her head rolled back to the wall and she closed her eyes.

Even though she was exhausted, Jane had too much on her mind to sleep. After some slight deliberation and even more determination, Jane spoke her mind to Miriam. "I need to find my brother." She needed to talk to someone, and Michael had always been her sounding board. He would understand everything Jane had to tell him—what she had read from the pink box, her growing suspicions of why Seehoiah never came here, and that she had seen the door!—and even if he didn't understand, at least Jane knew he would listen.

Keeping her eyes closed, Miriam raised her hand. "Go. I'll watch Evan." Jane glanced at Evan one last time before she left. He was already asleep.

Searching through the area Jane looked for Michael, but something else caught her attention. Next to the exit, posted on the wall, was the fire escape route. Jane peered at the small boxes representing rooms in the building—the water purification section, the atrium, and every other room on this floor. Jane's eyes went immediately to the one labelled laboratory, and to Jane's great relief she could see there was another room connected to it, a room with a separate entrance. Jane had to get into that laboratory, but there was no way she was going through the DNA lock. She would find her own way in, and open the door in her style.

Jane felt a hand on her shoulder, she tensed, it still amazed Jane how soundless and subtle the Akai'nii could be. Then she heard John's subdued voice. "Excuse me, I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's fine." Jane whispered as she faced John.

John moved close, uncomfortably close, so he could speak ever so quietly. "Michael and Kill have gone ahead to look over the building, to find the most efficient route to the rockets. He told us you need to look at the equipment inside the rocket, something about sleeping?"

"Hibernation."

John nodded. "After we eat and get some sleep we can go take a look. Sama will accompany you into the rocket. Soon and I will keep watch. Is there anything you can think of that you would need?"

"John, Jane, have you eaten? There is not much food left." Soon said as she breezed through. Apparently she did not require an answer to her question, she was already speaking to the next people, which explained that her coming was more of a warning than an invitation. John beckoned for Jane to continue.