Chapter 28 -- The Fight

Life for the Akai'nii had taken a difficult turn. They were a people used to dealing with losses, but even then loss still hurts. Their views on life centred around turning disadvantage into advantage. A strict economics was invoked. Nothing was wasted, everything stretched. But such strict measures did not stretch the people. They stayed as open in their views and as tight in their relationships as they always had.

Michael watched this transition with apprehension. But as the people struggled with want and fears, they never struggled amongst themselves. He could truly say that he not only admired this people, he loved them. And he took great pride in being a part of it all.

Michael was dreading taking Jane her evening meal. Her behaviour was bothering him, and had been for a while. Plus, he had had a long day of training with Kill and honestly he would rather spend the evening with Soon.

"I hope your day was better than mine." Michael said as he caught up to John who was waiting for food.

"I saw what Kill was doing to you. You know I came up with that one."

"I should have known. I'm beginning to recognize your work."

Oosa handed John a bowl. Instead of moving out of the way so Michael could get food, John stared down at his food and then up at Oosa.

When Oosa turned back around and saw him still there, a big smile came to her weathered face. She handed John another bowl.

John faced Michael. "You support me?"

"Always." Michael said taking two bowls from Oosa. John motioned for Michael to go first.

Michael walked over to Soon who was distracted, intently watching something. Michael turned to see what was so interesting and caught John disappearing down to Jane's room. Michael thought John had been right behind him, then sudden realization set in—John was taking food to Jane. He looked over at Soon and saw her and everyone around her watching. Michael became nervous. He knew Jane would be awake at this time, and that is what terrified him the most. Jane liked John, Michael knew this. She was always watching him, always looked up when his name was said, always acted a little strange when he was in the room. Michael began to cling to a hope. This had to work. It had to. For everyone's sanity.

A moment later John came out of Jane's room, both bowls still in hand. John gave them to Oosa and then exited the main cave.

Michael was shocked, had that really happened? The whispers of women swarmed through the air: she's crazy, a fool. He heard someone behind him laugh. He turned around and found Hoshe and his friends pointing towards John. Michael glared at them. He had never heard anyone mock John.

"That's it." Michael put his own bowl down and stood.

"What are you going to do?" Soon asked. But Michael didn't hear her, he was already mentally in Jane's room.

Once inside Jane was in her usual position, back to the door, pretending to sleep.

"Jane! What was that?"

There was no reply.

"I know you're awake. What did you say to John?"

"You're speaking in English." Jane didn't know why, but she said it in Akai'nii, and it had the effect she expected: Michael, who was already angry, became enraged.

"Don't you dare pass judgement on me Jane! I was so wrong about you—I had no idea, after all he has done for you, after all he has been through, do you know what you just did?" Michael paced the room. "Of course you don't know. You don't know anything that goes on outside this room."