The Dust Had Settled

-Author's Note-
Thank you all for so much support on this story. I honestly can't believe it. It really means a lot. I know everyone says this, but I really never thought I'd get to this point. I thought I'd have one or two readers, but I have over fifty, which is insane. Thank you.

-Your POV-
The walk down from the mountain was peaceful and lighthearted. Even though you had only just met Frisk, Sans, Undyne, Alphys, and Papyrus, you felt like you were going to be good friends. They were a good-humored, friendly bunch. You enjoyed chatting with them and telling your stories of the days you had been trapped in the Underground.

"So, after I got out of the Underground with everyone else, I was stupid enough to fall right back down that hole," you snorted sarcastically. "I'm kinda glad I did, though," you added, glancing down at Flowey. He smiled and you smiled back at him.

"I told you humans were like that, brother!" Papyrus told Sans rather loudly. You chuckled.

Frisk sighed. "I'm just glad you weren't hurt, and you got out pretty quickly," they said.

"Honestly, I kinda lost track of the days," you laughed, scratching the back of your neck. "We walked day and night and slept when we needed to. Heck, I dunno what day it is now! If it's a Monday, I swear I'm gonna jump off a bridge," you joked. You didn't exactly like the thought of returning to school just after you had undergone this whole thing.

Alphys chuckled. "It's Friday, and I seriously doubt you'll go to school at this time," she assured you, glancing at her watch. "It's already half past one."

"Thank God," you murmured, rolling your eyes. You were tired, but you were happy. Although your legs ached from the walk, the fresh scents of the forest that blanketed the mountain awoke your senses. The temperature was a nice sixty degrees, not to hot, and not too cold. You liked how dew cooled your skin when your ankles brushed against the tall, tangled grass. Sunlight filtered through the canopy above, warming your face.

"How is everything? Are, um, monsters and humans getting along?" Flowey asked, his voice carrying a shiver of worry.

Sans shrugged. "It's fine. Humans are still getting used to things, and tensions were kinda high in the beginning, but everyone's settling in nicely. For once, the future looks bright," he commented, smiling tiredly. "After being trapped in the Underground for all these years... it's better here. There's more hope and optimism and everyone's at peace."

"I'm glad. It was worrying, being down there. We didn't know what was going on," you sighed. You were relieved to know that everything was okay.

Frisk yawned slightly. "I bet. I know what it's like to be stuck down there, believe me," they chuckled. "But I'm pretty sure that the monsters know best of all. It's really a shame that they were trapped Underground. Let's just hope that nothing like that ever happens again."

"Yeah," Flowey agreed, looking up at Frisk with tired eyes. You had been walking for an hour or so now, and you guessed that you must be nearing the town soon.

The sound of a car whizzing by from a little ways off announced that you were almost there. Satisfaction sat comfortably in your stomach, instead of the icy weight that usually tugged at it. Reaching your arms up in a stretch, you savored the feeling.

As you came out of the forest and entered the edge of the town, you noticed that monsters as well as humans were strolling down the street, as usual. Cars drove down the road, their wheels throwing up dust and pebbles and they did so. It was true. You were home.

"It's... it's kinda like the Undrground," Flowey commented, gazing around at the various shops and homes that lined the concrete streets. "Well, except that we can actually see the sky, of course."

"It's a lot better up here, actually," Undyne told him. "There are lots of really cool places and fun things to do. And it's beautiful at night. You can see real stars, instead of just stupid rocks on the ceiling," she added. "Things are good. I'm glad that we're out of the Underground."

Alphys nodded. "Me too. And I'm g-glad that the humans are accepting us monsters. Sure, there are some mishaps occasionally but things look pretty bright," she agreed, brushing up against Undyne affectionately.

"I just hope it lasts," Flowey murmured. You looked down at him and saw worry sparking in his eyes.

"It'll be alright, Flowey," you tried to reassure him. Honestly, you yourself weren't entirely sure that the peace would last, but you weren't going to admit that. You didn't want to spoil the mood.

Papyrus piped up behind you. "Don't think like that, Flowey! It will be okay! I, the great Papyrus, will protect you!" he cried out, and Flowey smiled a little.

Pushing your concerns to the back of your head, you walked along the familiar streets, greeting the people and monsters that you passed. Honestly, it didn't feel that different. It felt like monsters had sort of always been part of society. Of course, being trapped down in a cave for weeks might do that to your mind. You'd seen weirder things, that's for sure.

"I wonder what'll happen with Toriel and Asgore," Flowey sighed.

Frisk shrugged. "They're okay with each other now. They're just friends, though. I don't know if it'll go back to what it used to be, but they're fine."

"Don't worry, flower! Everything will be alright!" Papyrus said again, in the loud, funny voice that he always did.

"I'm getting tired of your positivity lectures," Flowey joked.

You laughed. "You sure were tired of mine when we were down there," you reminded him.

"Yeah, because you were always like, 'Imma get you to the surface, Imma get you to the surface, oh Flowey, I love you, and I'm gonna do whatever I can to get you to the surface,'" he mocked jokingly.

"And what did (Y/N) do?" Sans asked, smirking slightly.

"They got me to the surface," Flowey answered. "I guess they were right," he chuckled.

I did it, you thought, I got him to the surface.

-Author's Note-
As I get closer to wrapping up this story, it honestly feels really good. I'm glad that I've completed something and that I didn't give up. Thank you so much for all the support, ily guys <33