13.

"well... my mom, Kait was in a hypnotize. by my step father, Jason. I never had connections with my father, after she met Jason he stopped contacting me and her. i was overwhelmed by my step father, always being drunk. i would sleep with my door locked because he would be on the other side, trying to get in. making threats to me as my mom was so blindsided to notice. i feared him until one night i got fed up with it, packed my things, left through my window. i took everything i could fit in my car and i left. That was two years ago, now i'm living in Downtown Seattle, this is my new life. I just wished i had my father."

"... i-i am so sorry. i know how it feels." i explain 

"why must you apologize for things you never do? you know how this feels?" he says a bit angered

"i'm apologizing because i've been there and it doesn't feel nice, and someone like you needs closure. even if it was 2 years ago. i know what it feels like to fear going to bed, i know how it feels to be ignored by your mom who's in a daze, too busy to notice that this is happening. i know how it feels." i remind him in a huff.

".. i know. thank you.." he states

"why thank you?" i ask curiously

"for helping me."

"i want to...and you said you lived in Seattle ?" i asked

i give a confused face into the phone "y-yeah, why?

"b-because, i seen you today, Brad."

.....

"y-you what?" he asks not believing me.

"i seen you at the coffee shop."

"when i had my shift that was you?..Wendy. i'm confused"

"yes...that was little old me." i laugh

"wow, we met without even knowing, until now." he laughs

"yes at first i didn't believe it was you. but i recognized your voice, it sounds the same just a bit deeper in real life." i trail off

"you recognized my voice ?" he asks

"y-yes..."

"that's cute." i hear a deep chuckle and can't help but smile.

"i knew it was you." he says

"w-what? me?" i ask forwardly

"yes, i could tell by your voice too. it was soft and you stuttered."

"really? you could tell." i smile

"i was afraid to say anything..." he blurts out

"what w-why?"

"i don't wanna mess anything up. i was nervous to introduce myself as it is, i can't risk blowing my chances." he hesitates

"..why are you nervous?" i  laugh

"well, i've messed up a lot of things in my life, and i don't wanna mess it up again."

"it's gonna be okay, you don't need to be nervous."

"it just scares me."

"you're gonna be okay, brad. you will never know unless you try and take the risk."

"i will."

"i'm gonna go now, i have work in the morning and i don't wanna get yelled at by my boss." he urged.

"stick up for yourself." i complain and we hang up.

i feel my heart flutter, and i fall asleep with more hope than i've ever had.