Chapter 3 ~ Agni kai

Zhao kneels, preparing himself for the oncoming battle. He cannot remember the last time he fought like this, one on one with someone. The dust whips around his feet, in a way it feels almost like its mocking him, teasing its ability and swiftness. Gritting his teeth he looks away from it, his eyes resting instead on his daughter. She's terrified, although she's trying her best to hide it , her eyes dart nervously between the Prince and himself as if she's trying to choose which side to stand on.

He was surprised to see her there, speaking to them. She didn't stand against him often, she wasn't strong enough to do that, she was weak and he kept her that way. Raising from his knee he stepped towards her, her full attention was now on him, a slight tremble in her hands at his closeness.

"I don't know what you were doing in there," He started leaning closer to her face, "But I have not forgotten about it." Pushing past her he ignored her stumbling and dropped his shoulder wrap to the ground. The material flaps as it flutters to the ground, a confidence consumes Zhao as he hears the sound. It reminds him of an applause.

"This will be over quickly." He announces, mostly to himself. Even though he had not fought in this way for a while he was far superior to the Prince, his eyes drifted back to Karina who was looking past him at the scarred boy. He was far better than him, this would be easy.

The gong rings out signifying the start of their battle. They both step forward assuming Firebending stances. Zuko covers his chest, not wanting the leave any part of him vulnerable to attack, he studies Zhao's form. It is impressive but not without weakness. Lunging forward he fires the first blast; his eyes widen as it passes Zhao's left not even making contact. Anger swelling within him he fires again, this time missing the right of Zhao.

How was he missing?

Clenching his jaw, he fires again, this time releasing several blasts. Finally, one connects, but it is blocked effortlessly by Zhao. The satisfaction on Zhao's face only serves to enrage him further, his breathing quickens as he begins to stalk towards his opponent.

Karina gasps as fire is expelled from both his hands and feet. She can only look on as her father blocks the boy's attacks before crouching forward, shooting flame dangerously close to Zuko's feet. She wants to help, but she knows she would be none. She had minimal training, and she would likely be more of a hinderance than help to the Prince. Also, if the Prince lost her punishment would no doubt be endless. Pushing away her dark thoughts she continues to watch the Agni kai.

"Basics, Zuko! Break his root!" Iroh shouts, he is clearly nervous for his nephew. Karina feels great sympathy for him, she could not imagine having to watch someone you held so dearly go through this not once, but twice.

Zhao smirks, firing volleys of flame at the young prince. Zuko blocks, but the sheer force of the fire pushes him back slowly, further from his opponent. Seeing the weakness, Zhao pushes harder pushing both fists to release flame. It works and the prince falls backwards, stumbling in the dirt. Without giving Zuko a moment to correct himself Zhao flies at him, firing directly at the fallen prince.

"No!" Karina cries out, rushing closer to the fight. She stops as she notices Zuko is not where her father had struck. He had rolled out of the way, relief floods her at her realisation. He was still okay.

Zhao is distracted by Karina's screams, disbelief written all over his face. Seeing his chance Zuko sweeps his leg, taking out Zhao's feet making him fall to the floor. The commander looks up in shock as the Prince begins to advance, his feet releasing small blasts of fire at him. He pushes himself backwards, wobbling through the sand, this can't be happening. The prince raises his hand releasing a blast that knocks Zhao flat on his back. His shock is replaced by anger, a snarl forms on his face as he glares up at Zuko.

"Do it!" He screams, daring him to do it. And for a moment it looks like he will, Zuko's fist raises once more, determination written across his face. However, the blast falls to the left of Zhao and he drops his fighting stance. Zhao grits his teeth, anger burning within him. "That's it? Your father raised a coward."

"Next time you get in my way, I promise I won't hold back." Zuko turns his back and begins to walk away. Rage rushes through Zhao at the sight of the princes bare back. A cry tears its way through his lips as he raises his foot and releases a whip of flame at the boy.

An unexpected hand grips his foot, extinguishing the flame he had tried to release. Iroh stands before him, the stern look on his face sending a shiver down Zhao's spine. He feels his body freeze as the General throws Zhao back into the dirt as if he is a rag doll.

Zuko's attempts to avenge the insult are stopped by his uncle.

"No, Prince Zuko. Do not taint your victory." The crowd watches with great anticipation as Iroh turns back to face Zhao "So this is how the great Commander Zhao acts in defeat. Disgraceful. Even in exile my nephew is more honourable than you." Zuko Looks at his uncle clearly surprised at his words, "Thanks again for the tea. It was delicious."

Karina rushes over to them and for a moment Zhao thinks she is coming to his side. She stops just before the Prince, hope clear in her gaze. He stops to examine her, their eyes meeting for longer than Zhao likes. Sighing he stretches out his hand, a clear invitation. Karina takes is gladly, a small blush flooding her cheeks at his warmth.

Zhao can do nothing but watch as they go, leaving him behind.

"Thank you," Karina whispers as the Prince lets go of her hand, he stares down at her for a moment, examining her more closely than he had before. Without saying anything he turns to his uncle.

"Did you really mean that, Uncle?"

"Of course. I told you ginseng tea is my favourite."

A/N: I wanted to make this chapter more from Zhao's point of view so, I hope I did an okay job with that. I feel like I needed to establish him as more of a character than just, big bad man :)