Chapter 5 ~ Evasive Manoeuvring

Zuko felt his cheeks heat up and his eyes caught sight of the girl in the water. Her pale bare back was not what he was expecting to see as he marched into the bathing area.

One of the soldiers had forced out his quick temper and he had stormed off of the deck deciding that perhaps a quick bathe might help him find focus. Ignoring his uncles calls he had barged into the room without a second thought.

Getting over his initial shock he caught the sight of a dark red mark on her shoulder. The mark was smaller than the palm of his hand yet it looked sore as if it had been done only yesterday. As his eyes made their way over the bare back  he began to notice more cuts and marks all along her back and shoulders. A million questions raced through his mind.

What had happened to this girl? Was this why she had wanted to leave so badly?

Before he could open his mouth a squeal left the girls lips as she threw her body back down in the water.

Karina blushed deeply forcing as much of her body under the water as she could. The Prince just starred at her red faced, mouth slightly agape. Clearing her throat she watched as his eyes snapped to meet hers, something was different. The golden orbs glowered down into hers, she couldn't tell whether he was sullen or annoyed. And if either whether it was at her or at something else. Their eyes stayed connected for what seemed like forever, she had never seen such beautiful eyes the gold and yellow seemed to almost swim together within his iris. Karina's blush deepened at her thoughts but she doubted that he noticed this.

"Prince Zuko?" Her voice was quiet and soft. 

"Perhaps consider locking the door next time you decide to bathe." He stated harshly before turning on his heels and leaving the room the door closing with a sharp bang.

Sighing Karina pulled herself out of the water. 

So much for a relaxing bath. 

***
Ever since the awkward exchange with the Prince, Karina had take. to attempting to meditate in her small room. The cold ground of the ship didn't help her at this task, her back began to ache as she slowly moved out of her cross-legged position.

She just couldn't understand why he had been so angry at her. All she had attempted to do was bathe. Yes, she had forgotten to lock the door,but in all honesty she didn't know there was a lock.

If anything she should be mad at him for walking in on her. Yet she wasn't. Huffing to herself she closed her eyes, pulled her legs back into the correct position and tried to concentrate.

Zuko clenched his fist as he starred down at the deck of his ship. His uncle watched as he attempted to calmly spar with the soldiers. Growling he thrust a burst of flame at a crew member knocking the man flat onto his back. 

Running a hand over his head Zuko's mind wandered back to the events of the morning. The small bare back covered in scars. The green eyes starring into his own, green was such an uncommon colour for fire nation. Many had brown, gold or just black eyes. But green, he'd never seen such wonderfully emerald eyes on any fire nation citizen. Shaking his head he turned from the deck to look at the hull of the ship. His eyes scanned the horizon. He was going to meditate  

"Uncle," He turned to address the older man, "I do not wish to be disturbed unless you have news of the Avatar." And with those words much like earlier he turned on his heels and marched to his room. 

***

Karina slowly opened her eyes and was greeted with the sight of an anxious looking General Iroh, the man shuffled in her door way his hands clutched together in front of him. She smiled at him kindly to which he returned a small smile of his own.

"How can I help General?" The older man chuckled at her use of his title something he had already reminded her not to use.

"I have to deliver news to Prince Zuko," Karina looked at him puzzled. Zuko was his nephew why would he be seemingly nervous to deliver whatever the information was to him. Seeing the young girls puzzled face Iroh chuckled lightly again. "I would like you to accompany me, perhaps his temper will be more controlled in the presence of a lady." 

Karina held in a snort as she thought back to their earlier meeting, Zuko didn't see her as a lady and he didn't seem to mind unleashing his temper around her. None the less she wanted to spend more time with Iroh, he seemed like a good man who had shown nothing but kindness to her. 

"I would love to." 

As they walked down the ships corridors Karina marvelled at just how big it seemed. On the outside the ship looked like it could house a few people but not this many. Her, Zuko and Iroh all had private quarters, there were crew quarters and a dining area and a bathing room. How on earth had all of this fit into such a seemingly small ship. Iroh's calm voice interrupted her thoughts. 

"We are here." Slowly he opened the door to reveal Zuko  sitting in the lotus position in front of an altar, four white candles burning in front of him.  Iroh stepped into the room keeping a keen eye on his nephew.

"The only reason you should be interrupting me is if you have news about the Avatar." His voice was silky but in an almost dangerous way. Karina watched as Iroh took out a map. 

"Well, there is news, Prince Zuko, but you might not like it. Don't get too upset." His voice holds a sense of caution and Karina eyes the prince nervously, the last time he had been upset it had resulted in a Agni Kai with her father. 

"Uncle, you taught me that keeping a level head is a sign of a great leader. Now whatever you have to say, I'm sure that I can take it. " the boys eyes stayed closed and he did infact seem relatively calm. 

"Okay, then..." Iroh paused, "we have no idea where he is."

"WHAT?!" She felt her body flinch at his enraged tone, the four candles that had been burning in front of him flared to the ceiling . 

He stood quickly and turning around to face his uncle,the anger he felt  evident on his face. Iroh  moved away from the flames and raises his right arm to protect his face as well as Karina who had moved from the room into the doorway. As the flames began to subdue, Karina watched as  he pulled a fan out of his robes.

"You really should open a window in here." Iroh mused whilst fanning himself lightly.

"Give me the map!" Zuko snarled as he snatched the map from Iroh's hand. Zuko quickly unrolled the scroll and began to study it an annoyed look in his eye. Karina could feel her heart racing, she didn't like it when he got aggressive, it reminded her too much of her father. 

"There have been multiple sightings of the Avatar, but he is impossible to track down." Iroh stated calmly.

"How am I gonna find him, Uncle?" He looked down at the map marked with circled Xs and dotted lines connecting the reported Avatar sightings. "He is clearly a master of evasive manoeuvring. "