Chapter 30 ~ The End

Karina screams as the ice beneath their feet begins to crack, pushing her legs to run she tries to match her pace with Zuko. The ice cracks just behind her feet, threatening to plunge her into the icy depths. 

Their panic is halted as they both fall, tripping over the lip of a newly formed canyon. Zuko looks ahead  to see a rockledge overhanging a small cave. Releif swells within him as he looks over at Karina. 

"Shelter!" Gripping her hand he begins to guide them into the cave. 

***

Dumbing Aang at the back of the cave Zuko ties his hands. Satisfied with his binding Zuko turned away from the small boy blowing fire into his hands to keep warm. His eyes flitted over to Karina, she was laying against the wall, her eyes shut liek she was sleeping. He suppsoed she probably was sleeping, she had been through a lot. The dark mark around her neck was beginning to lighten, it was more of a yellowy purple than the almost black it had been. He wondered how hard you'd have to grab someone to bruise them that badly, testing it himself he raised a hand to his own throat and squeezed a little. Feeling stupid he dropped it, and turned to look at the Avatar once more. 

"I finally have you. But I can't get you home because of this blizzard." Walking over to the entrance of the cave he watched the snow fall, "There's always something. Not that you would understand. You're like my sister. Everything always...came easy to her. She's a firebending prodigy – and everyone adores her." Zuko felt his chest tighten at the very thought of Azula, "My father says she was born lucky. He says I was lucky to be born. I don't need luck though, I don't want it. I've always had to struggle and fight and that's made me strong. It's made me who I am."

Karina looks over to Zuko sadly, the pain in his voice broke her heart. Pulling herself up from the floor she began to walk over to him. In so many ways they were alike, they had experience similar trauma, she just wished she could make him feel better. Wrapping her arms around his back she feels him jump a little, he didn't realise she was awake. He dosent push her away but instead turns in his arms to face her, and for a moment they stay like that wrapped in eachothers arms. 

Zuko looks over at Aang, then looks back down at Karina, 

"Guess we'll be here awhile." She giggles at his statement and he pulls her tighter towards him. 

Wordlessly she removes her self from his hold only to place her hands on the sides of his face and pull him into a kiss, it is sweet and tender. She can feel a tear run down Zuko's cheek, he hungrily pushes his lips onto hers, craving the affection. A tingling warmth shoots through her lips, wrapping her arms around his neck she feels him pull her up into his arms.Her body melts into his, his warm hands pressed against her waist. Eventually they part, both breathing laboured breaths, she looks into his eyes, saying everything he needed to hear with that look alone. 

Setting her back down on the floor he falls into a sitting position. Tugging her waist slightly she falls into his lap with ease, resting herself against his back letting his warmth over take her. 

There they sit in each others arms waiting for Aang to awaken.

***

Zuko notices Aang gebinning to stir and gently places the now sleeping Karina beside him. It wasn't that he was embarrassed of  her or their affection for one another, he just didn't want his enemy to use this affection against him. Or at least, that's what he told himself. 

"Welcome back." He greeted the now awake avatar as the boy struggled against his bonds. Aang looks up at him, assessing his current situation. 

"Good to be back." With an unexpected mighty breath, he blows Zuko against the wall while simultaneously propelling himself out of the cave and into the open. He grunts as he tries to crawl across the floor with his arms and legs still bound behind him.