Chapter 23 ~ The Blue Spirit

Swallowing Karina raised her hand and gently knocked on Zuko's door. The storm had been terrifying but she still could not believe the memories she had heard Iroh recall. At the thought of them tears threatened to spill out of her eyes, something she did not want to happen in front of Zuko.

The door opened slowly revealing a slightly dishevelled Zuko in what she could only assume where his night clothes.

"Karina?" his voice was horse, as he looked on her with confusion. He must of been sleeping.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you, I'll just go." As she turned to leave she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

"Stay. Please." He spoke quietly, so quietly that if she hadn't been listening so intently she wouldn't have heard him. Nodding she allowed herself to be lead into his room.

A few candles were alight near the shrine, but apart from that the room was dark. Zuko sat on his bed and looked at his late night visitor expectantly.

"I-" Karina paused realising that she hadn't come up with a valid excuse as to why she had come to visit him. She couldn't exactly say, everytime I think about what your father did to you it makes me cry. "I couldn't sleep, it's too cold." Zuko nodded, ever since the storm the ship did seem to be a lot colder.

"uh, I have an idea," moving so she was in front of him on the bed Zuko pulled her into his lap and wrapped his arms around her waist. Karina would feel her cheeks heat up at the sudden contact.

Slowly Zuko began to rise his body temperature until he was just warm enough to keep her warm as well. Resting her back against his chest she focused on his breathing, the rhythmic nature of it making her more sleepy.

How could anyone want to hurt him?

Letting the tears finally spill over she turned in his arms, so their chests where pressed together, and nestled her face in the crook of his neck.

Zuko gently pushed her away from him, wiping the tears from her eyes. In the candle light his eyes truly looked like fire.

"I'm so sorry Zuko." She cried as the tears continued to fall down her face. He was confused, but pulled her against him any way, gently rubbing circles on her back as her breathing steadied out and she fell asleep.

Smiling down at her small frame, he  raised them both off of the bed and carefully laid her down pulling the covers up to her neck. Gathering his spare pillow and blanket the Prince made his bed on the floor and fell asleep starring at her peaceful expression.

***

"We haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm."  The Lieutenant states as he and the Prince looked over the map. "But, if we continue heading northeast –"

Before he can finish his sentence the lieutenant is cut off by another Fire Nation ship passing them. Headed in the opposite direction. The sheer size of the boat alone causes everyone to stare open mouthed.

"What do they want?" He can only hope it has nothing to do with them.

"Perhaps a sporting game of Pai Sho!" Iroh calls cheerfully behind him, illicting a giggle from Karina.

A walk way between the two ships is lowered and a small man holding a scroll makes his way down it. As the smaller man reaches the Prince and the lieutenant he unravels the scroll to reveal a drawn picture of Aang on a wanted poster.

Zuko cannot hide his contempt for the small man.

"The hunt for the Avatar has been given prime importance." the Herald states as he lowers the scroll "All information regarding the Avatar must be reported directly to Admiral Zhao." Karina can feel her body tense at the mention of his name. Since when had he been an Admiral.
" Zhao has been promoted? Well, good for him!" Iroh called out making his next move in Pai Sho.

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao. Now get off my ship and let us pass." Zuko states sullenly glaring at the man.

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area." Zuko's glare intensifys at the Heralds words.

"Off my ship!"

***
"Is everything okay? It's been almost an hour and you haven't given the men an order." His uncles voice causes Zuko to stop his training.

" I don't care what they do." he mutters sullenly, turning to look out to sea.

"Don't give up hope yet. You can still find the Avatar before Zhao." Iroh states confidently. Zuko snapos back to look at his uncle desperation and fear marring his features.

"How, Uncle? With Zhao's resources it's just a matter of time before he captures the Avatar." Turning away from the older man he looks back out to sea, his voice dropping to a whisper, "My honor, my throne, my country, I'm about to lose them all."

***
Karina couldn't sleep. Wrapping the blanket tighter around her body she sat on the deck alone watching the waves. She couldn't help but think about the other night, how she had cried in his arms until she fell asleep. And then when she had woken in his bed. The blush came rushing back to her cheeks as she remembered his smell enveloping her.

When she had discovered Zuko was not in his room she thought he might be here.

Execept he wasn't, leaving her to wonder exactly where he'd gone.

Answering her question partly Zuko walks past her wearing a strange all black outfit and swords on his back.

"Where have you been?" He is startled by the sound of her voice, not even realising that she had been sat there.

"Training." He muttered flatly as he walked past her, a sullen expression on his face.

"Where have you been, Prince Zuko? You missed music night! Lieutenant Jee sang a stirring love song." Karina cringes at the mention of the song, Lieutenant Jee could not sing.

"I'm going to bed. No disturbances."

Iroh rubs his head and blows into his Sumki horn, playing the same tune he had been playing all morning.