Chapter 4 ~ The Ship

Karina remained silent as she followed the Prince down the hallways of the large metal ship. They had allowed her to eat a meal with them, the older gentleman (Who instructed her to call him Iroh) had told Zuko to take her to her living space. She marvelled at the sheer size of the ship, she had never been allowed in one before, and even though this was a smaller model than most it was still so large.

Abruptly he stopped, Karina stopped quickly trying her best to not bump into his back. He seemed to have hardened after the fight with her father, she could not blame him for not trusting her. She just hoped he would eventually not look at her so coldly.

"You will be sleeping here." He stated turning to face her, confusion clear on his face. She almost admired his inability to hide his true feelings. She knew he would have questions, in his position she would have some herself. She only hoped he did not ask them as she would not know what she would say. Why had she left so impulsively, latching onto two strangers that seemed kind? What was she going to do when they left her? She was still unsure.

"Thank yo-"she began before being cut off by Zuko, his voice dangerously low.

"I don't know why you came with us, but know this, if you do anything to disrupt my hunt for the Avatar I will personally throw you off of this ship. Whether we are by land or not." Karina's eyes widened at his threat before she slowly nods. The threat seemed empty, but she still understood his message. There was no way she would ever interfere with his search for the Avatar, she had not come to be a nuissence.

He pushed open the door revealing a small metal room with a bed and a bedside table.

"Well uh, Goodnight." He muttered turning away from her, leaving before giving her the chance to reply.

"Goodnight." Karina whispered to herself, letting herself fall into the soft mattress of the bed. It suddenly hits her that she had left her mother's hair clip behind, her eyes clench shut as tears try and form within them.

What was she doing?

***

Karina awoke to the sound of knocking at her door. Blinking slowly, she wiped the sleep from her eyes and clambered out of the small bed.

Picking up her discarded dress from the floor she effortlessly slipped back into the material securing it at the back. Hesitantly she opened the door to see a fire nation solider.

"The General sent me to inform you breakfast is ready." With his message delivered the guard turned on his heels and began to walk back down the long metal hallway.

Slipping on some flats she followed behind the man, the canteen was a large place. Soldiers sat everywhere talking to one another noisily. Slowly she scanned the room for the only two people she was familiar with. Iroh smiled at her brightly, waving her over to the table.

"Ah good moring Miss Karina, I hope you slept well?" Iroh spoke kindly a soft smile on his face. She was shocked to see him sat alone, the young Prince missing from his side.

"I did thank you," She paused scanning the room for any sign of the Scarred boy, "May I ask a question?" Iroh chuckles, and tilts his head forward indicating that she may. She shuffled a little in her seat, almost regretting her decision to ask.

"Where is the Prince?" Once again the older man chuckled bringing a cup to his lips, sipping lightly. She had no realised he had tea.

"Prince Zuko is mediating, he will not join us until it is time for his training." She nodded slowly looking down at the empty table before her. Iroh smiles knowingly at the young girl. " Would you like some tea, it's Jasmine?"

Karina nodded slowly and watched as the hot water filled up the small cup waves of steam slowly making their way into the air. She had never had tea before, bringing the cup to her lips her eyes widened as she sipped the beverage.

It was probably the best thing she had ever tasted!

"General, this tea. It's delicious!" The older man nodded, greedily drinking his own tea. She felt so comfortable in his presence, something about him was so likeable even though he barely seemed to try.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments quietly sipping their tea before Karina asked another question.

"General," The olderman looked up from his cup to face her, "is there a place I could perhaps wash?" She hadn't cleaned herself for a short while and her limbs were beginning to feel stiff. It was nothing that a short yet warm bath would not fix.

"Yes when we have finished our tea I shall show you."

***

Karina closed her eyes as she peeled the red fabric off of her body. Fresh wounds welcomed the air greedily, causing her body to sting all over. Refusing to look at herself, she let her body sink into she warm basin. She couldn't remember the last time she was allowed to bathe by herself, a guard often stood watch not seeing her in the bath but preventing her from feeling relaxed.

The relaxing water washed over her, ignoring the protests of some more recent marks she let her full body be consumed by it. Her eyes remained closed as she lazily ran her fingers through her hair, giving the strands the best clean she could manage.

It felt good, she thought to herself, it actually felt nice.

Her mind began to wander, thoughts of the young prince enter her mind causing a quick blush to burst over her cheeks. Standing up in the water she shakes her head. Absorbed by her embarrassing thoughts she does not notice as the door creaks open behind her.

"W-oh uh sorry I-sorry," A frantic and blushing Zuko stands in the entrance of the wash room, a white towl gripped in his hand.