Chapter 28 ~ Great

The air around them seemed to grow heavy at the confession. The joy that filled the room at their meeting had gone and in it's place was a tight uncomfortable knot. Karina hugged herself, trying to shrink away from any potential anger she had caused. She had thought he would want to know, but now she regretted saying anything at all.

Zuko took a step back from her,  his brain trying to comprehend what she had just told him. How long had she been able to bend? Was he wrong in thinking those scars where because of training accidents? He watched as she moved over to the small cot and sat down. 

Green eyes that had looked up at him in such longing, now begged him to say something. Anything.  

"What do you mean?" He tried to hide the obvious anger in his tone, unclenchig his fists, not really sure when he clenched them. 

"I-" She wasn't sure what she was doing, how was she supposed to explain this in a way he would beleive? "When Iroh was captured, one of the earthbenders attacked me and I somehow threw a rock at him," 

She looked up at him hoping he would understand, the confusion written all over his face.

Footsteps outside caught their attention, guards where coming to check on her. Zuko gritted his teeth and pulled the mask back over his head, he had to get out of here. 

Karina could do nothing but watch as he turned away from her and walked out of the room.

***

Each day Karina spent aboard the ship felt the same. Her father would call for her in the morning, she would spend the day by his side until he dismissed her and she was guided back to her room. It was as if her father was scared she would leave again if he let her out of his sight. His attitude towards her had seemingly improved, the harshness that she was  normally met with was softened. Karina still hadn;t seen Zuko, something that made her worry immenensly. 

"This will truly be one for the history books, General Iroh." Zhao's voice reminded her of her surrondings, "Just think, centuries from now, people will study the great Admiral Zhao who destroyed the last of the Water Tribe civilization. You're lucky you're here to see it." 

Gritting her teeth Karina looked out to sea. The blue waves seemed to roll past her tauntingly, no land for miles. She had never realised how much she craved the earth, the longer she remained at sea the more she felt this wanting, the need to feel her powersource at the tip of her fingers. If Karina was being honest, the fact that she could earthbend still hadn't truly sunk in. She was not proficient at it, Iroh had tried his best to teach her some basics, but without a real teacher she was useless. Even all the defense training she had with Iroh was useless, her father would still over power her easily. She was weak. 

"Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects." Iroh's words held an icy tone, a level of seriousness not common from the older gentleman. Karina feared for his saftey, harbouring Zuko on board could get both of them killed, and her father would not hesistate to do the deed. 

"I suppose you speak from experience? But rest assured, this will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba-Sing-Se." Zhao glarred at the General, a smirk resting on his features. There was no way he would fail, he was not a pitiful old man easily affected by emotions. 

"I hope not, for your sake." Iroh spoke quietly, his eyes flitting over to Karina. Gritting his teeth Zhao turned blocking Iroh's view of the young girl. 

"Tell the Captains to prepare for first strike." Karina's eyes widened as she turned to look up at her father, first strike? So soon? 

Iroh turned and walked away from the father and daughter pair leaving Karina alone with Zhao once more. Quickly Zhao turned his attention to her, roughly grabbing her arm and pulling her closer. 

"You will have no interaction with that man," He spat "You will have no interaction with anyone but me, do you understand?" Karina nodded quickly, terrified of what he intended to do with her. Zhao smirked at this, his grip loosening a little, "Watch closely daughter." 

Relasing her he turned to face the sea, the city wall of the northen watertribe coming into view. The mere size of the structure was enough to make Karina's breath stick in her throat, she had never seen anything like it before. The large waterbending symbol seemed to loom above them, watching their every move. 

The catapults had been set, Zhao took a deep breath. Everything he had ever acheived had come down to this moment, this was to be his greatest achievement. Closing his eyes he raised his hand in the air, the boat began to slow, the firenation soliders stood silent and poised, ready for his next word. 

"Fire!" 

He would be great.  

A/N: I'm sorry this is so short :(