Crescent Moon - Acceptance

I put my faith in the unknown
- The Letter Black

**

This is what Zuri had trained for. Was still training for. Since she turned 16 she started training and she hadn't stopped ever since. Her friend went missing almost two years ago now and the Alpha did nothing about it.

One minute Natalia was teaching her defensive manoeuvres in the woods and the next she was surrounded and taken.

Rogues had infiltrated their territory and outnumbered her right in front of Zuri's eyes and she had vowed she would never let something like that happen again.

She had gotten word that their northern border was currently under siege.

Zuri ran from the training room, clad only in her black sports bra and leggings, with one destination in mind.

Straight to the fight. 

She ran across the vast green towards the pack house, directing woman and children to the safe room as she went. She hoped someone was already there because she didn't have the code to get in.

A hand suddenly latched on to her arm and a nasty growl ripped from her throat.

"Stand down, mutt! You need to head to the safe room with everyone else" Beta Malcolm ordered.

She suppressed the urge to growl again, knowing her place. She didn't want to join the unlucky few sleeping on the streets or in the woods. Or worse, bound by silver chains in a windowless cell.

"But Beta, I can help!" she persisted.

Zuri wasn't an arrogant person but she knew she was the strongest female by far and at least top ten in the pack.

"Are you questioning me?" he snarled back, his grip on her arm tightening. He stared at her until she looked away, before taking off running, shifting mid run.

Zuri was seething. She knew she could actually make a difference if she was allowed to join the fight. Instead, pack members who were inexperienced and never fought a day in their life were the ones defending their pack.

There was no doubt in her mind that the Alpha was off hiding somewhere. He was not the type to get his hands dirty, preferring the Beta to do all his dirty work.

It was a wonder why they hadn't been a attacked already. Crescent Moon was barely hanging on by a thread. Only a handful of shifters could stand their ground in a fight and they had no ally packs willing to help out.

Years ago, Alpha Griffin had disrespected the Alpha of Dark Moon, the most feared Alpha. So their neighbouring packs cut ties with them so that if he ever tried to attack, he wouldn't set his sights on their packs as well.

Which left Crescent Moon unprotected and utterly screwed.

A little boy came running up to Zuri crying his eyes out. From what she could discern through his sniffing, he got separated from his mum and his sister. She took his hand and ran with him to the pack house, picking up a few confused pack members along the way.

She didn't say it aloud but she wasn't sure whether the boy's family would be in the safe room and she didn't want to upset the boy further.

The safe room was behind the far wall in the kitchen pantry. A keypad was hidden behind some boxes of cereal. Fortunately, someone left the door open so everyone could get in but she couldn't help but feel annoyed. If she was a rogue she could have easily slaughtered the lot of them.

Zuri cursed.

Already the room was packed and space was dwindling. She feared there wouldn't be enough food to last the night, let alone a few days. She cursed the Alpha. Clearly this room was made for the higher ranking members of the pack.