Half Moon

You're gonna need somebody
Let it be me
-Justin Jesso Ft. Nina Nesbitt

Christiana

Christiana was immediately hit by the cool air. A welcome reprise from the heat and sweat of the party.

Her new colleagues had invited her to a party in some cabin in the middle of nowhere. Which was fine on the drive over but now that she was walking back in her heels, it was looking less than ideal.

She vaguely remembered the way back to the main road, so she made her way in the direction she thought they came from.

No ubers or car services would pick her up because of the lack of road and abundance of trees, so she really had no choice.

If she had known there was a chance she would be walking alone, practically in the woods at two in the morning, she would have rethought the whole thing.

Her dress felt uncomfortably short and she pulled it down futilely because it just went right back up as she walked.

She avoided eye contact with two guys smoking a few feet away in the tree line.

The further she walked, the quieter the buzz of the party became and she was all too aware of the looming trees all around her. The trees seemed to get taller and more menacing under the moonlight.

Christiana rubbed her lace covered arms, though she wasn't cold.

Maybe it was a mistake to leave the party by herself but the thought of awkwardly watching Vanessa drunkenly kiss and grope anyone with a pulse to get back at her ex boyfriend, made her gag.

A few more minutes of walking and the moon had practically disappeared from sight.

Goosebumps covered her skin as she felt eyes on her. She wanted to believe she was being paranoid but the accompanying twig snap was hard to ignore.

Christiana picked up the pace, stumbling as she went. She wasn't sure she knew the way back to the main road after all. There definitely weren't this many trees earlier but she continued to follow the path of faint tyre tracks.

"Whoa whoa whoa. You're in quite a rush aren't you, darlin'" a rough voice said from behind her and she whirled around, startled.

She didn't recognise the voice and when she caught sight of the man, she didn't recognise his face either.

"Are you lost, sweetheart?" another voice said from behind her and she stepped back so she could see the two of them.

Her heart was beating a mile a minute and a lump had formed in her throat.

"Cat got your tongue, darlin'?" the first guy said.

"I think you're scaring her, Viggo" the second guy said with a smirk.

Viggo cursed, "Now she knows my name, Carl"

"It's not like she's going to be able to tell anyone" Carl said, stepping closer.

Both their eyes zeroed in on her and she felt like roadkill being circled by two vultures.

"So what say you be a good, little girl and-" Carl started but Christiana didn't wait for him to finish. She took off running in any direction. Swallowing down the lump in her throat, she screamed from the top of her lungs for help.

Running as fast as she could proved difficult as the heels she was wearing made her stumble around on the uneven ground like a new born baby deer.

One of her heels fell off and her other foot tipped to its side so the side of her foot hit the ground and she cursed before righting herself.