Breathe (Part 1)

***THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 9K+ READS! I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!***

Breathe.

She repeated that to herself over and over again. It was the only thing keeping her from running away.

A couple days ago she was preparing to travel with her older sister and now she was about to get married to a person with a less than reputable reputation.

It couldn't be a real marriage. Only symbolic. Shifters didn't tend to follow human culture and marriage was definitely part of human culture. Shifters had their own traditions they followed so marriage wasn't substantial.

"Two minutes" the woman doing her hair said and everyone in the room kicked into high gear. Alessandra was momentarily transfixed with the woman's bob haircut and its lack of movement.

She was roughly pulled up from the chair, her back to the mirror. One of the many women surrounding her, dusted imaginary lint away from her very expensive-looking dress while another attacked her cheeks with a makeup brush.

Breathe.

"Let's move" someone said.

She attempted to turn around to see her reflection in the mirror but a hand gripped her arm stopping her.

"We don't have time" the woman who did her hair, snapped.

She nodded in response. There was no point arguing. She just wanted this to be over with as soon as possible.

Alessandra was lead out of the room and down the stairs. The dress was surprisingly easy to move around in despite the intricate lace and body-hugging fit.

Everywhere was dark as they manoeuvred her through the Packhouse, finally stopping in front of the door to the backyard. The white curtains prevented her from seeing what lay beyond the door. Even with her enhanced vision she could barely make out the silhouettes of the people sitting outside but it was enough to make her heart race.

"What am I doing?" she whispered to herself.

"Oh no you don't. It's too late to start getting cold feet. You agreed and so did your father" Bob-lady said.

This lady was really starting to get on her nerves but she bit back her retort.

Alessandra had no intention of backing out but it didn't stop her from being wary.

"You should be glad he chose to marry you instead of-"

"I'll take it from here" the comforting sound of her father's voice interrupted and she let go of the breath she didn't know she was holding. "If you don't mind, giving me a minute alone with my daughter" he said, even though he wasn't really asking.

With a flick of her bob, she turned and walked through the curtains.

Alessandra wasted no time in embracing her father. He kissed her hair, careful not to disturb her carefully crafted bun.

"I'm so glad you're here" she said, fighting back tears.

"Where else would I be?" he chuckled. She didn't answer, just held him tighter.

[You know you don't have to go through with this. It's not too late.] he mind-linked her.

She leaned back to face him and look him in the eye.

"I do" she said firmly, "See, I'm already good at it" she tried to make light of the situation but her father's worried expression didn't budge.

She knew the consequences if she backed out. It wasn't an option.