Chapter Eight

Hat stopped and waited, offering his hand again. Reluctantly, she took it, allowing him to intertwine their fingers. They walked for some time down this long winding hallway until they came to a red door. "Is this the place?" Alice asked.

"Not exactly." He tapped the keyhole. "Take a peek."

Alice bent down and looked through the tiny opening. She couldn't see much with the exception of a contraption that reminded her of what she'd seen at the Duchess's home. Whoa! So this was the punishment room? She stood up and shot him a look of excitement. He reached into his pocket and pulled out an old-fashioned, metal, skeleton key with a spade-shaped bow and a fancy notched bit attached to a long chain. Alice expected him to unlock the red door but instead, he ran a palm across the wall to the left, tapping several spots as he did.

"Ah ha!" he said as he tapped a spot on the wall and the area swirled until a gothic-looking, silver doorplate with a mortise and rim keyhole and ornate doorknob appeared out of nowhere. He popped the key in the lock and turned it, creating a loud click. As he twisted the knob, the wall swirled and an opening appeared out of nowhere.

Alice's eyes bulged and her jaw dropped. "Neat trick."

* * * *

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Alice in Shifterland has moved to Radish. Please look for me there under SierraBraveRomance. All of the chapters in season one will still be free, and there are offers to earn free coins and coupons. Instead of deleting all the chapters on Wattpad, I'm modifying them into teasers so we don't lose the comments. Find Alice at https://radishfiction.com/stories/11533