23

"You know, Alicia Marcus?" Andrew asked. I was looking at the old man, his facial expression clearly conveyed that he bears immense hatred towards Alicia.

"Yes. She was my grand daughter." He said. We both were left shocked.
"I'm the co-owner of this farmhouse." He told us.
"And you still live here? I mean, after ten years after the disappearing of Alicia?" I asked, because its impossible for any other person to live in the same house with tragic memories."

"Yes. Its been 11 years, 5 months and 21 days." He said.
"Um, sir? Can you give us some details about what happened with her? I mean, Alicia? I know, this is tough, but sir, her spirit is now haunting my house, and I want to know why." I convinced him.

"Okay." He sighed.
"Some twelve years back, we purchased this farmhouse. We decided it to be a place where Alicia would love to come and play. She was a little child back then. Very innocent.
Her liveliness, cheerful smile pulled me more close to her. Both of her parents were working. So it was only me and Caroline looking after her. Caroline was our house maid. After a few days I got a message from Caroline saying that for some reason she will not be working here." He took a pause.

"Things were going pretty smooth. I thought that I could die happily seeing my family happy, but luck didn't favour us. Alicia's mother passed away. Her father married another woman and settled in UK. Alicia was my responsibility now. We came more closer to each other. One day, she went out in the garden to play, and she came in with a drooped face. I asked her what happened but she refused to tell me."
I listened carefully.

"Soon, she stopped talking to me. Isolated herself. Rarely ate her food.
Rarely came out of her room. Once, I decided to go and ask her, what the matter was. I went towards her room. Opened the door. And what I saw made its stain into my heart. Her face had a tinge of yellow, and it was dry. Her lips were black and blue. She was murmuring something. When I went inside, I saw her room was scribbled with upside down crosses, black scratches and one symbol was very prevalent. A triangle with an eye inside it. I asked her that what was she murmuring, she got up, laughed demonically, and yelled at me, "He will come and get me. I know him, he loves me, and he will come and get me, take me away from this world!" I was scared of her. For the first time." The old man narrated.

"Who will take her?" I asked.

"I asked her the same question over and over again. In the last, she yelled at my face, it was so loud, I could still hear it. 'Satan' that's what she screamed. She laughed demonically, picked up the black crayon and started scribbling on the walls. Sometimes she screamed and sometimes laughed." He said.

"That's all I know. I hate her because she destroyed my family, and my life." He sadly said.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Marcus." I said.
"And thankyou for telling us her story." Andrew thanked him behind me.

The man got up and said that he had to go. "It was tragic." I turned towards Andrew.

"Indeed. She had a hard life." I said feeling sorry for her.
"It happened all because of her. No one invited her to get into satanic rituals." Andrew placed his point. I agreed with him.

Soon it was noon. It had been two days with Andrew and me here. Mom was alone, all by herself. I wanted to go back, hug her, and say that I am there for her. "Can we go back?" I asked.

Andrew sighed. We started to walk back to our car, when a woman, dressed as a maid, came running towards us. She was probably in her mid 40s. Her face was pale with fear.

"Run! Go back!" She yelled, confusing us. I raised my brow.
"If you will to live, then save your lives. Go, get away! Right now! Run to a safe place, both of you." She said painting as well as panicking.

"Save lives, from whom? Calm down, ma'am. Just tell us first, who are you and what exactly happened?" I asked trying to calm her down a bit.

"There is no time to waste. Don't you understand? Go!" She said widening her eyes.

"Okay, okay. We're leaving. Abby?come on." Andrew signalled me. I nodded and stared to walk towards the car.
I did feel an unwanted eerie presence there with that woman. It was like something was latched onto her. I was thinking about it continuously.
What if she was a sign that Alicia gave me?

"I know, what I am about to say does not make any sense, but, the lady was wearing a white and black gown, just like a maid. I don't know why, but my heart says that it is related to that maid who once worked in Alicia's house." I told Andrew.

"Well, it does make sense. That maid went against Alicia, and that's why she hugged death. Maybe, the woman we saw today was the wandering spirit of the same maid trying to warn us about something horrible, Alicia is going to do." Andrew said, as he drove the car.

I agreed with him. First the old man, who turned out to be Alicia's grand father. And now, this woman. Who probably, we think, is the maid, dead.

This situation was going way out of control. I was confused. I wanted to save my mom. I had no idea if she was even alive by now. A tear escaped my eye.

"Hey, hey. Abby. Look at me. We are going home. We are saving your mom. I assure you, as long as we have each other, hour mom is safe. Don't worry, okay?" Andrew smiled and tried to console me.

"Thanks Andrew." I smiled and nodded. He was the reason I did not break up into millions of pieces by now. I did owe him a lot.

"Where are we?" I asked looking around. I was not sure how far we were from my town.
"We are about to reach in some time. Grab some sleep if you want to." He offered. I decided to go for it. My eyelids felt heavy. I rested my head on the window pane and pulled myself into slumber.

"Wake me up, when we reach." I said.
"Sure." He replied and concentrated back on the road.

I sighed and took a deep breathe. I was not losing against Alicia. I didn't lose hope yet. I will fight on.

It is worth to risk your life just to save some one you love beyond the fence.
It was definitely a hell of an exhausting day.

Vote.
Comment.
Follow;)
~Sanchali.

Follow;)~Sanchali