chapter seven

"have you ever read one of these?"
max shook her head.
the two sat in silence.
"have you?"
"uhm,"
"-don't answer that, actually."
richie shrugged, "well okay."
if you were to ask either richie or max, neither would be able to explain how they got in the situation they were currently in.
instead of hanging out in the arcade or seeing movies- you know, normal teen stuff, they stood in the back of some wierd store that just opened in town, staring at magazines titled PLAYBOY that showcased nude women on the front.
"do you want to..?"
"do i want to read one of them?"
richie nodded.
"i mean i guess."
the two looked through their pockets for loose change.
"got anything?" he asked.
"you're the one who owes me quarters from the other day." max blushed at the thought of the other day. when he kissed her. in the quarry. just the two of them. together. alone.
richie took one of the magazines in the plastic wrap & put it in the waistband of his shorts, covering it with his t-shirt.
"follow my lead," he held his fingers to his lips.
max nodded.
he tipped over a shelf & began to run the opposite way.
"run!" he whisper-yelled, grabbing her hand & leading her to the exit of the store.
max stumbled at first before finally syncing her steps up with him, following behind.
once they got to the door, richie stopped.
"what are you doing, we gotta get out of here!!"
richie ran behind the cash register, grabbing a pack of cigarettes.
"needed a new pack," he smirked at her as he walked out through the glass doors.
she rolled her eyes & smiled, leaving the store.