(2)

Johnny | Lydia

"Lydia, please hear me out." Riley pleaded down the end of the phone. "I'm sorry. I was so drunk."

"So drunk that you stuck your dick in another girl?" She scoffed, her eyes rolling despite the tears that were threatening to spill. "Give me a break."

"I messed up. Bad. I know. But it was a mistake and I-"

"Riley!" She interrupted his pleading, not sure how much longer she could listen to his voice. It brought back so many memories that would threaten her resolve to be strong.

His voice had always been one of her favourite things. So strong with a slight rasp and soft enough to soothe her into a gentle sleep after a long day. This was her first break up, but she knew that the mind was playing tricks on her. Resurfacing all of the good that could outweigh the bad if she let it. But she refused and deep down, she knew that was a result of the example her mother had set. She knew about her father's infidelity in her earlier years. She also knew that Nathan worshipped at her mothers feet. That was the type of relationship that she strived for and believed she had. But she was wrong.

"If you think that I'm pathetic enough to take you back after something like this, then you're mistaken." She bit with a quiver in her voice. She had to end the call before she crumbled. "I'm done Riley. Done!"

"Lyd-"

She hung up on the only boy that she had ever loved and pulled the covers over her head, desperately clutching at the fabric as a way to feel grounded because the relentless tears and thrashing sobs made her feel disconnected from herself.

Another message from her phone lit up the darkness under her comforter and she checked her messages to see that Johnny had text instead of snapping her.

Hey. I hope I didn't make you feel weird.. calling you stunning and all that?

Weird? No of course not. Shower me with compliments. I live for it 😉 no my cheating ex just rang before I could reply. That's all.

Oh. :( are you alright?

Right now? No. I need to change the sheets because I've cried and snotted all over them. And I feel like someone's stabbing me in the heart with a fork over and over again. Plus I think I need to puke. But evidence shows that I'll live and get over it .. right?

That's what the studies say. But right now, you're allowed to feel like it's the end of the world.

Good. Because I do.

Thanks for listening by the way.

Anytime. I'm here. :) if someone did that to my little sister, I'd kill them tbh.

That actually reminds me that I need to have words with Liam. He gon learn ! That shit is unacceptable!

How old is Liam again? Same age as Olivia, right?

Eight. Pain in my ass.

Mhmm tell me about it. I can't wait to go to College sometimes.

Weren't you supposed to start this year? Didn't you just graduate.

I deferred a year. I wanted a little time off from homework and classes. But it's more boring than I thought it would be.

You're getting into marine biology right? That sounds ten times more interesting than sitting around at home. But you are in Cali so I wouldn't be complaining.

Yeah. But the beach becomes less interesting after spending so much time on it.

I could kill you right now.

Haha. Come visit ? You can crash with Dallas and Drayton. We'll hang out.

School starts in a couple days :( I wish I could though. Maybe for spring break?

I'd love that Lyds. I've missed you!

Another smile broke through her grief and she realised that when she was talking to Johnny, she felt a sense of relief and weight lifted off her shoulders. It was brief because when she heard her mother calling her for dinner, she was reminded that there was reality outside of her bed and her cellphone and at that moment, that really fucking sucked.