Chapter twenty

Edited as of Aug 26, 2021
_________________________________________

Zelda

The journey to the Spring of Courage wasn't as long as I hoped it was. Though if it did take longer it would only bring me dread for having to wait until we got there. Soon enough, we came up toward Harker Lake just close enough to the Spring of Courage. I looked over my shoulder seeing Link staring at me with a frown. I knew he had his doubts about this, I just know it and it only made me even more fearful for what is to come.

Once we reached Damel Forest close to Dracozu lake, I noticed a line of pillars leading the way to the Spring. We got off our horses, letting them rest in the clearing that held water and enough grass for them to replenish their strength.

I took a couple steps forward to the Spring the rock gorge above me watching as I inched closer toward its domain. I took in steady breaths to ease my worries as Link followed behind me. The amount of pressure weighing on me couldn't even be explained, it had such a heavy toll on me that every step I took felt like I was underwater. I've only ever felt like this when I was unsure of myself in the past but now as I recall those memories and bring with them a new, the feeling was just unbearable.

I walked up to Spring as Link followed behind me. I lift my hand up a little to tell him to stay at the entrance of the rock. He nodded, turning his back on me while he unsheathed his sword and held it before him. The tip meets the ground ever so gently.

I took in a deep breath as I stepped forward to the stone plate underneath the water by the goddess statue. With a heavy heart and clouded mind, I folded my hands over my chest and began the Goddess prayer.

Link

I stood guard with my back turned as the princess stepped into the water. I could hear her pray quietly but her voice. It sounded... desperate? Like she needed this power more than anything in the world and of course she did; but she sounded so desperate just to gain the power of the Goddess. It made me pity her.

A couple minutes passed since the princess stepped in the spring and just as I was about to take a peak on the princess, her figure was already coming toward me with her head hung low.

"Let's go..." She mumbled.

"How-"

"Let's go, Link!" She exclaimed.

I stiffened. It was a natural thing at this point and yet, her sweet voice terrifies me once it's raised. It happens often while I am with her either because of her father setting the flame or she is just annoyed with me. But does it even matter at this point? I tried to rush after the princess wanting to yell back for her to slow down but I'd rather stay silent without objection to her highness and just follow her to the best of my ability. Which was fairly easy since she doesn't go all that fast most of the time. The road along the forest was long but with her angered speed and desire to escape the place made it all the more easier for us to depart.

Once we reached the edge of the forest, our horses waiting by a tree we strapped them too, the princess made no hesitation on climbing aboard and taking off without me. Typical. I broke into a hasty jog to get to my horse, climb aboard, and caught up to the princess before she was out of my sight completely.

The moment I noticed that the princess was in my sights I noticed the pace of her horse had slowed. It made me worry a little. So I gently tugged the reins to signal my friend to go a little faster until I was close enough to her highness. Her green eyes stared blankly down at the reins of her white stallion, catching my attention and the desire to ask what happened back in the spring. Of course, I knew I wasn't going to get a definite answer but I still wanted to make sure she knew I still cared about her operation.