Life Buoy 2

Nicomaine's POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm at exactly 6 in the morning. As soon as I rose from the bed, I opened my window and breathe in the fresh sea breeze.

"Good morning, Boracay!" I whispered to the wind as I reveled in the beauty of God's creation before my eyes. This is why I love the beach. The play of wonderful colors of green and blue that shimmers as the sun kisses the ocean waters warms my heart. Add to that the sound of the waves gently crashing the shore which calms my very soul. Wow! Just wow!

It took me quite a while savoring the moment that I didn't notice the time. It was only when I heard somebody knocking on my door that I realized I wasn't ready yet for our morning jog. Thinking it was Sheena, I immediately ran to the door and opened it. Surprisingly, it wasn't who I thought it was.

"Joaqui!"

"Good morning, pretty girl!"

Jusko naman! Ang aga-aga mangulit nito!
I thought to myself.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to give you these flowers and to ask you to have breakfast with me."

I accepted the flowers but declined his invitation saying I have a scheduled morning jog with the team.

"Pero napagpaalam na kita sa Coach niyo at pumayag naman siya."

"What?! Why did you do that? You should've asked me first." I replied annoyingly.

"Eh alam ko naman na may morning jog kayo kaya nga nagpaalam na ko kay Coach Patty para hindi ka na mahirapan pang magpaalam na sabay tayong magbreakfast. I told her na sabay na lang din tayo pupunta sa play area after."

"Ugh! This guy is really getting into my nerves!" I thought to myself again as my brows furrowed and heaved a deep sigh.

"What I'm trying to say is bakit hindi mo muna ko tinanong kung gusto kong magbreakfast with you? Tsaka morning drill yun ng buong team, I should be there." I firmly stated.

I saw him frown from what I said and I felt slightly bad because he looked so defeated. But, I really don't wanna miss the morning drills with the team. "Hay Joaquin!!! Ano bang gagawin ko sayo?!"

"Beshie!!! Ano, bat di ka pa nakaayos?"

"Sheens! Ano kasi——"
I was startled but I gave her a pleading look, as if asking for her help with this very insistent guy in front of me.

"Oh, Joaqui, anong meron?" Sheena asked and I thought to myself, "Thank God, Sheena! Perfect timing ka besh!"

"I'm here to have breakfast with this pretty girl kaso tinurndown ako eh." I saw him pout and I felt more guilty with the sad tone of his voice.

"Ha? Breakfast? So hindi ka jojoin sa morning drills, Nics?" She turned to me quizzically.

"What? No! Magdidrills ako, magbibihis na nga dapat ako kaso dumating itong si Joaqui."

I turned to look at Joaqui and thought of a way to make him feel better. Nahihiya na rin naman kasi ako sa effort niya, okay naman sana siya sadyang makulit lang talaga. Hays!

"Ganito na lang Joaqui. Why don't we just have lunch together? Yun! Wala naman drills around that time eh. So lunch na lang tayo, okay sayo?" I looked straight into his eyes as I asked that.

"Hmmmm...may magagawa pa ba ko? Sige sige, lunch date it is."

Joaqui agreed and smiled widely at me. I gave him a shy smile as I thought to myself, "Sagutin ko na ba toh? Tama naman si Sheens na sabihin na okay naman siya talaga. Katawan pa lang ulam na. Moreno, matangkad, gwapo din naman at magaling din magvolleyball. Wala naman mawawala kung itatry ko pero wala kasi akong nafifeel talaga sa kanya more than the friendship. Nasa akin ba ang mali? Bat ganito?" I didn't know we were holding each other's gaze until I heard Sheena spoke to me. I was taken out of trance and blinked twice before I looked at her.