4.0 - beach

((listen to disconnected)) ((or wrapped around your finger)) ((or both))

9:43 PM

Skylar didn't know how they didn't see the beach before, or why Luke didn't realize that there was one when he was Googling things earlier, but somehow that's where they ended up.

Skylar had suggested that they go, because even though she was still a little drunk and knew that Luke wanted to get her back to the hotel, she wasn't ready for their night to end just yet. After all, nothing fun was going to happen back at the hotel, so they might as well do something exciting while they still could. Skylar didn't need sleep anyway, she would be fine.

"Okay, just sit here." Luke said, grabbing Skylar's shoulders and pushing her down to the ground, on the sand. She felt that he was getting annoyed with her, because he kept sighing, but really he was just trying to make sure that she was okay, and deep down Skylar knew that.

There was no one else at the beach, obviously, because it was so late at night and way too cold for anyone to want to be hanging out here. Skylar didn't mind, though, because between Luke and the sweatshirt that he was letting her borrow she was relatively warm, and the harsh wind that blew by every few minutes didn't bother her.

Luke sat down in the sand next to Skylar, and they sat in silence for a few minutes, watching the waves crash onto the shore. Skylar had only been to the beach once or twice with her parents when she was much younger, which was surprising for someone that grew up in L.A. She liked it, though, and had always meant to go back someday, if she could find someone to go with. Skylar was glad that she had found Luke.

"I asked you this earlier, but do you know anything about stars?" Luke asked, laying down. He grabbed Skylar's wrist and gave her a small tug, like he was asking for her to come lay next to him. She did, and rolled into Luke's side so she could use his chest as a pillow.

"No." Skylar finally answered, looking up at the sky above them. The stars were so pretty, she had never really taken much notice in them before, and suddenly she wished that she knew more about them. She could point out simple constellations, like the Big Dipper, but nothing else.

"Me either." Luke laughed, moving a little so his hands were resting under his head.

"I kind of want to." Skylar said quietly, her eyes still focused on the stars shining above them.

"Want to what?" Luke asked, seeming to have spaced out again. He had been doing that a lot lately, Skylar didn't know why. Of course she thought that it was her fault, even though it probably wasn't.

She always had this constant fear of being too boring, ever since Luke told her that she was boring on the plane. Skylar knew that Luke had changed since then, and he'd probably only said it to go along with his act of being an asshole, but she couldn't help but feel that it was really true. That was just Skylar, though, and she was going to do her best to ignore these thoughts like she always did.

"I want to learn about stars." Skylar whispered. She shifted around from her place on top of Luke, trying to find a new position for her head to be in since her ponytail was uncomfortably digging into it. Luke noticed and fixed this problem by taking Skylar's hair out of the ponytail again, slipping her hair tie onto his wrist. There were three others there already.

Luke didn't answer her, he just wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his chest again, holding her close to him. She could hear his heartbeat, and that mixed with the sounds of waves was the only noise on the entire beach.