4.7 - ice cream

1:37 AM

They were serving complimentary ice cream in the hotel lobby, and Luke had never been so happy in his entire life.

After how miserable he'd been for the past couple hours, he was beyond happy to see that there was a random cart set up on the lobby of the hotel where an young woman was handing out ice cream comes. He didn't know why this was occurring at almost 2 AM or why they were even serving ice cream when there was a total of 20 people staying in the hotel that night, but Luke didn't care to ask. He just grabbed an ice cream cone for him and Skylar and left.

They went over to a group of chairs in the lobby, both of them wanting to eat their ice cream before going back up to their room. Luke knew what Skylar wanted to do when they went back there, and he wasn't sure if he was ready to give it to her. That's why he just sat and ate his ice cream, acting as if he didn't have a care in the world.

"Luke?" Skylar asked, taking a lick from her cone.

"Uh huh?" He nodded. His mouth was full of ice cream, so he wasn't going to bother saying anything else.

"What did you get added to your tattoo?" Skylar asked, pointing to the small bandage that still covered Luke's wrist.

He froze up as she spoke, not knowing how to answer. Luke knew that Skylar was eventually going to question if he'd added anything to the tattoo, because it was pretty obvious that he did, but he wasn't sure how he was supposed to tell her. He didn't want her to know how attached he was to her, and if she found out what he had done to the tattoo she'd probably freak out.

Skylar was probably going to expect a lot from Luke, and she might get the idea that they were going to make this last forever. Luke would have liked for it to last forever, but he knew that they couldn't and wouldn't. He knew what was going to happen, he was just too scared to break it to Skylar.

"Nothing, I told you already." Luke replied slowly, trying to make it believable. He used to be so good at telling these little lies and now it seemed like he couldn't. Just this morning he had been lying left and right like it meant nothing to him, because it did mean nothing. And it should mean nothing now.

"Oh." Skylar nodded, taking another lick of her ice cream. She looked so cute, and she'd even managed to get a little on her nose. She noticed quickly and wiped it off, though, using the sleeve of Luke's sweatshirt. He was going to miss her so much.

"He was just touching it up a little." Luke continued his lie, wanting to make sure that Skylar didn't suspect anything.

"Okay." Skylar just nodded and continued to eat her ice cream, thankfully not questioning Luke any further.

"Do you want anything else to eat?" Luke asked as he ate the last of his ice cream. He was a little hungry, but he wasn't going to go look for food unless Skylar wanted it too. He knew that she was tired and wanted to go back up to the room.

Luke stood up, ready to go get something, but Skylar's response stopped him.

"I'm fine, thanks." Skylar nodded, and for a second Luke was taken back by her politeness. Had she always acted like that? No, she didn't normally thank Luke after he did just simple things like offering her food.

Luke was growing more and more paranoid with practically every word that Skylar spoke, and he had no idea why. He always felt that she was getting bored, or annoyed with Luke, and soon she was going to want to just forget about this entire thing all together. They only had a few hours left to be with each other, Luke didn't want Skylar to give up on him yet.