The Shakespeare Code

Jessie laughed as she hung onto the TARDIS with all her might as it kept bumping around. “That never gets old!” she whooped.

“But how do you travel in time?” Martha asked, trying to hold onto the console.

The Doctor grinned from where he was doing his bounce/dance around the controls. “Oh, let’s take the fun and mystery out of everything,” he said sarcastically. “Martha, you don’t want to know. It just does.” He grinned maniacally. “Hold on tight!”

He flipped something, and years of experience taught Jessie to keep a tight hold on the coral, stopping her from falling. Martha, however, wasn’t so lucky, and she went crashing to the floor. The Doctor laughed from where he had fallen into the captain’s chair. “Blimey!” Martha gasped, getting back up. “Do you have to pass a test to fly this thing?”

“Yes,” the Doctor confirmed with a grin. “And I failed it!”

“’Course you did,” Jessie laughed, taking her trench coat from where it hung over one of the coral structures.

The Doctor retrieved his as well. “Now, make the most of it,” he advised Martha. “I promised you one trip and one trip only. Outside this door? Brave new world.”

“Where are we?” Martha asked.

The Doctor grinned, opening the door. “Take a look. After you.”

Martha stepped out, and Jessie followed. Her eyes widened when she saw the buildings around her. “Oh, wow!” she gasped before turning back to the Doctor with a mock glare. “You took her somewhere better than me! Why did I get the end of the world and she didn’t?”

The Doctor grinned. “I was different back then.”

“No kidding,” Jessie muttered.

“Oh, you are kidding me,” Martha said slowly, looking around. “You are so kidding me! Oh my God, we did it! We traveled in time! Where are we?” She held up her hand. “No. Sorry. I got to get used to this whole new language. When are we?”

Jessie heard something up above, and her eyes widened microscopically. “Mind out!” she called, grabbing both the Doctor and Martha, yanking them backwards.

Just in time to avoid something rather disgusting getting dumped. Jessie wrinkled her nose. “Apparently,” she said dryly, “somewhere before the invention of the toilet.”

“Sorry about that,” the Doctor apologized.

Martha grinned, shaking her head. “I’ve seen worse. I’ve worked the late night shift A and E. But are we safe?” Jessie looked at her in confusion, and she tried to explain. “I mean, can we move around and stuff?”

“Of course we can,” the Doctor said in confusion. “Why do you ask?”

“It’s like in the films,” Martha said. “You step on a butterfly, you change the future of the human race.”

“Then don’t step on any butterflies,” Jessie advised.

“What have butterflies ever done to you?” the Doctor added.

“What if . . . ” Martha shrugged. “I don’t know. What if I kill my grandfather?”

“Are you planning to?” the Doctor asked.

“No.”

The Doctor shrugged. “Well, then . . . ”

“And this is London?” Martha asked.

“I think so,” the Doctor confirmed, looking at Jessie and raising an eyebrow. “Let’s get your time senses rolling. Try for the year?”

Jessie looked around, trying to figure it out. A second later, she had. “Around 1599?” she guessed.