What To Think

The Doctor wasn’t speaking inside the TARDIS.

The Bad Wolf wasn’t speaking inside the TARDIS.

The TARDIS was a lot quieter than usual.

When Martha added those three things together, she knew something was wrong.

She knew it had been what she had pressed on about, but really, she was completely fed up with the two of them. Sure, she enjoyed every moment she got with them – at least the Doctor, she thought, giving him a quick look over before noting the way the Bad Wolf’s own eyes followed her – but really, she had had no idea why he’d never spoken of his planet.

And the way the Bad Wolf had been there for him, caught up in his story anyway, it was as if she’d never seen the planet, either.

She leaned forward in the captain’s chair and placed her elbows on her knees. “What was the other thing he meant?” she asked.

The Doctor’s head jerked up, and the Bad Wolf looked over at her, too. “Sorry?” the Doctor asked.

“He asked if he was right or not, the Face,” Martha elaborated. “What did he mean? Who’s ‘her?’” She caught the glance between the Doctor and the Bad Wolf, then narrowed her eyes. “Was she someone else you brought along and got rid of?”

“I didn’t get rid of her!” the Doctor protested.

He didn’t say anything about the Bad Wolf, Martha thought before pointing at the said woman. “Did she?”

“God, no!” the Bad Wolf exclaimed, backing away and holding up her hands. “Where’s all of this coming from?”

“Am I just the next one you’re taking around for a joyride and then being dropped off like nothing?” Martha asked. “Because if I am, take me home now.”

She glared between the two of them before the Doctor sighed. “Truthfully, we didn’t want you along at first,” he admitted, and Martha blinked. He swallowed, gripping the console. “Something, ah . . . happened at the Battle of Canary Wharf that was definitely unexpected.”

“Expect the unexpected nowadays,” the Bad Wolf muttered.

The Doctor shot the woman a glare, which seemed to catch her off guard. Martha smirked a little before the Doctor continued. “I thought she was gone, but the Face of Boe predicted something I never thought was possible. And it’s still hard to believe.”

“Who was she?” Martha asked.

The Doctor shook his head. “Someone important.”

“What, I can’t even get a name?”

The Doctor opened her mouth, but the Bad Wolf interrupted. “Jessie.” Martha’s gaze flew to the blonde, who was staring hard at the Doctor, her face void of all emotion. “Her name was Jessie Nightshade.”

Jessie Nightshade. The name rang a bell. Martha was pretty sure she’d heard it on the news before, when something new flashed in her head, and her eyes widened. “She was on the deceased list from Canary Wharf!”

“Exactly,” the Doctor said in a monotone.

Martha stared at him in shock. He had to be kidding. He’d traveled with a girl and had gotten her killed? “Oh my God,” was all she said.

The Bad Wolf nodded, still staring at the Doctor. “Basically.”

Martha tried to wrap her head around that major realization but found that she couldn’t. “I’ll just – ” She pointed over her shoulder towards where she had last seen her bedroom and took off down the hallway.

She didn’t sleep for the rest of the night.

***

Jessie sighed and shook her head. “Are you still doubting this is me?” she asked the Doctor.

“I don’t know what to think anymore,” the Doctor replied, looking up at her through an angry expression. “For one, your name didn’t work when Lilith tried it on you, but you were yourself when you saved everyone on the Motorway. I just . . . ” He took a shuddering breath. “I just don’t know what to think.”

Jessie swallowed down a retort. “Well,” she said slowly, “let me know when you’ve finally figured out what you should.”

She didn’t give him a chance to retort as she turned on her heel and followed Martha out.

***

Unbidden, a memory hit the Doctor, one he had forgotten, from right after he asked Jessie Nightshade the first time. The image of three girls.

Jessie herself.

The blonde.

The next brunette.

And with a shock that literally sent him into the railing, the blonde’s face swirled more into focus. Jessie.

Had the TARDIS known this would happen?

He stared at the console for a moment before taking a shuddering breath.

No. He definitely did not know what in the universe to think now.

***

Well. Martha took that interestingly. If you can't tell, I'm not the biggest Martha fan, so why not give her that small punch in the gut?

Thought I'd pay tribute to the first version with the haunting melody of Frigga's funeral from Thor: The Dark World. But she'll be back . . . in a couple of books. ;) Who can guess why?

So the Doctor's figured out at least a small bit of that little mystery we had in the beginning of "Running Through The Stars." I think I just sort of gave away the rest of it all. But I'll ask anyway: who do you think is the actress for the next girl? I've already got it figured out, and I'm stuck on . . . pfft. Spoilers. Meh.

But anyway, back on the I-don't-know-when-the-next-episode-will-be-out road. "Daleks in Manhattan" will be thought on, but I don't know when it'll be up. Sound good?

Good. Bye!