Last of the Time Lords

One year later, Martha stepped out of the rowing boat she and the First Bad Wolf had taken back to England after traveling all around the world. She had waited for the First to get out first before she did, and both of them trudged up the beach to the man with an oil lamp waiting for her. "What's your name, then?" Martha asked.

"Tom Milligan," he replied. "No need to ask who you are. The famous Martha Jones. How long since you were last in Britain?"

"Three hundred and sixty five days," Martha replied, sighing. "It's been a long year."

"So, what's the plan?"

"This Professor Docherty. I need to see her. Can you get me there?"

"She works in a repair shed, Nuclear Plant Seven," Tom explained as they walked. "I can get you inside. What's all this for? What's so important about her?"

"Sorry," Martha apologized, shaking her head. "The more you know, the more you're at risk."

"There's a lot of people depending on you. You're a bit of a legend."

"What does the legend say?" Martha asked.

"That you sailed the Atlantic, walked across America. That you were the only person to get out of Japan alive. Martha Jones, they say, she's going to save the world. And the golden woman, the dead woman walking, the dead woman hiding away and guiding her. The golden woman driven to fight to her last. But I don't see anyone here."

The First snorted next to her, and Martha couldn't help but grin at that. It was true, what Tom had said. She had been the only one to get out of Japan alive. Having the friend when she held the Time Vortex was definitely a plus. It was literally like having a guardian angel. With two versions of the Bad Wolf fighting against the Master, she knew she could do anything.

"Bit late for that," Tom finished.

"How come you can drive?" Martha asked as they made it to a flat bed van. "Don't you get stopped?"

"Medical staff," Tom explained. "Used to be in pediatrics back in the old days. But that gives me a license to travel so I can help out other labor camps."

"We're traveling with a doctor," the First giggled.

Martha sighed. "Great. I'm traveling with a doctor."

"Story goes that you're the only person on Earth who can kill him," Tom told her. "That you, and you alone, can kill the Master stone dead."

"I'm not," Martha muttered so he couldn't hear. "There are a few others." The First reached over and squeezed her shoulder, her golden eyes understanding. Martha took a deep breath, shook herself, and sat up straight. "Let's just drive."

***

Jessie bowed her head from where she sat. "Martha's returned," she whispered. "Martha's returned home to Britain."

"Has she accomplished what she's had to do?" the Doctor asked.

"She's spread the word. She's a living legend."

"And you?"

"We've tuned into the Network, and Tony has been hacking to get into every nuclear warhead SHIELD has, or had. Bruce and Pepper know what they're doing."

"Good. You'll know what to do."

"I do."

"I love you."

Jessie smiled. "I love you, too."

The door quietly opened, and Jessie opened her eyes, straightening. Pepper smiled and walked in. "Tony's in," she told her. "We just need to get a lock on the satellites, and we can launch from wherever we are."