Human Nature

John Smith awoke that morning from a dream that had him completely perplexed. He blinked a little before sitting up and looking at his dresser and the journal he had hidden inside. It was one of the most vivid dreams yet. But still . . .

He shook his head when there was a knock on the door. "Come in!" he called.

His maid, Martha, walked in with a breakfast tray. She took one look and quickly turned away. "Pardon me, Mr. Smith," she said, sounding flustered. "You're not dressed yet. I can come back later."

"No, it's all right," he assured her, standing and putting on a dressing gown. "It's all right. Put it down." Martha did, and hesitantly turned back. "I was, er . . . sorry, sorry. Sometimes I have these extraordinary dreams."

"What about, sir?" Martha asked as she drew the curtains back.

"I dream I'm this adventurer," John replied. "This daredevil. A madman. The Doctor, I'm called. And last night, I dreamed you were there as my companion. And Miss Rossini, too, as someone like the Doctor, but not quite the Doctor. Half goddess, she was. She was called the Bad Wolf."

"A teacher, a housemaid, and a librarian, sir?" Martha laughed. "That's impossible."

"I'm a man from another world, though, and Miss Rossini was born on this world, but transformed to someone from another."

"Well, it can't be true, because there's no such thing."

John frowned, approaching the mantle, eyeing the silver and the gold fob watches on it. "These things," he murmured. "These watches are . . . " He picked the silver one up, wondering what he was trying to remember, before putting it back. "Ah, it's funny how dreams slip away," he commented. "But I do remember one thing. It all took place in the future. In the Year of Our Lord, two thousand and fifteen."

"I can prove that wrong for you, sir," Martha told him with a smile, picking up a newspaper and handing it to him. "Here's the morning paper. It's Monday, November 10th, 1913, and you're completely human, sir. As human as they come."

"Mm, that's me," John agreed with a smile. "Completely human."

***

Johanna Rossini watched the two boys she had picked out stack history books on her shelves, and she smiled, folding her arms and watching. She frowned a little as she remembered the dreams she'd been having recently, and she shook her head to get rid of them, checking to make sure her hair was still pinned in place.

There was a knock on the library door, and she turned. "Come in!"

Martha walked in with a tray of tea. "Here you go, miss," she told her.

"Ah, thank you!" Johanna beamed, taking the tray. "How's your Mr. Smith doing?"

"Doing well, miss, thank you," Martha replied before hesitating. "Why the interest, if you don't mind me asking?"

Johanna shook her head. "You'll think I'm mad," she commented.

Martha smiled. "If it's anything I heard from Mr. Smith this morning, I might."

Johanna laughed a little. "I've been having these dreams recently," she began, missing the way Martha stiffened. "I'm this woman that is considered a goddess, even when she is not." She grinned. "Who's afraid of the big Bad Wolf? I know I am." She shook her head. "A woman who can walk through walls and control fire and air, and has seen the cogs of time and wields space in her hands. And she travels with a man called the Doctor, who looks remarkably like Mr. Smith." She chuckled, shaking her head. "Actually, just last night, you were in one."

"A teacher, a housemaid, and a librarian?" Martha asked with a laugh. "Now I know people in this place are going mad. Mr. Smith has been having the same dreams."