Chapter 1.

"My name is Aaliyah Garza. I am 18 years old, I wear my dark brown hair usually in curls or in a bun. I hardly wear make-up, and if I do I like to make it natural. I have an older sister named Grace who is 21 years old, and she looks a lot like me, or should I say I look a lot like her since she's older.

My Dad and Mom passed away. Mom, when I was 7 from cancer. Dad, when I was 15 from heart problems. Ever since Grace and I have been living with my stepmother.

I mostly only remember my Mom from pictures. Blond women with bright blue eyes, and the warmest smile I've ever seen on anyone. Dad had a more stern look on his face, but he was handsome. Grace and I looked just like him.

Dad was a very bright man, and hard working as well, so I'm not sure at all how he ended up with that women, who I am not proud of to call my stepmom. This is what no one knows though, she's the devil in disguise. Not only does she have a severe drinking problem, but she has a drug problem as well, and I won't even mention how she makes her money.

Enough about her though, my best friend is Isiah Mark, he too is 18 years old, and we've been best friends since birth. Isiah is the complete opposite of me, he has dark blond hair; kind of how you expect a surfers hair to look like, plus he also has light brown eyes. Isiah's Mom and my real Mom were best friends from birth too. That's all there is to my life... for now."

I looked up at Isiah to see his reaction on my extra credit paper for English. He looked a bit upset, but his face told me he knew this paper was just a joke.

"Very impressive, and I'm sure Mr. Porter will think it's impressive too," he clapped his hands in a jokingly manner. I smiled at Isiah and shook my head.

"I already submitted my paper earlier today, I just wanted to amuse you with this thing I call my life," I said waving the paper in front of his face. Isiah grabbed the paper from my hands and took a look at it.

Although this was our last week of high school, I still had this last extra credit assignment to turn in. I wasn't the best student in class, I was more one of the worsts. It's not that I'm dumb, or lazy, but graduating high school was pretty much at the bottom of my list. I worked a lot, sometimes overtime, so catching up with school was sometimes a hard thing to do. I mean I still get to graduate, which is good, I just won't be able to walk across stage with the rest of my peers.

"You've literally been to hell and back, haven't you?" He asked.

I shrugged and said, "I'm still living in it."

"Come on, Aaliyah, your life isn't so bad. You have me as your best friend, don't you?" Isiah asked with a smirk.

"You're so right, my life is perfect with that fact," I said sarcastically to him.

I took the paper from his hands, and took a glance over the words again. Isiah and I were sitting on the floor of his bed room, out backs rested on his bed. I grabbed my bag which was next to me, and just shoved the piece of paper inside it. I didn't want to keep looking at it.

"All jokes aside, I know how much you struggled with everything. I know you feel stuck living in that house with the wicked step monster." Isiah stated. "I just want you to think of the things that are actually good in your life."

"Like what?" I questioned him crossing my arms.

"Well for starters, you have me. You have your sister Grace, who will move heaven and earth for you."

"I am thankful for what I have, don't get me wrong. Just sometimes I feel like it's hard to be thankful, when there's more wrong in my life than there is right," I explained.

"I understand that, is that why you wrote that paper as a joke?" Isiah asked.

"I just ripped a page out of my dairy," I said sarcastically. Isiah raised an eyebrow at me.