Interlude: The Preparations

AN: Above is an image of the Black Empire. Before any mortal race existed on Azeroth, or any Titans had come to liberate it and imprison the Old Gods, the Old Gods ruled the planet. This image features a city in the Black Empire, presumably with C'Thun or N'Zoth in the background.

October 30, 2017

8:00 AM

Yogg'Saron's voice thundered through the auditorium. He had taken to using this room as his place of meeting. It was covered in red and black, and banners carrying the crest of the Black Empire hung on the walls. The stage had a massive throne that he sat in, and many pews were lined up in front of and below the stage, similar to a church. In these pews sat his advisors and his generals. Next to him, in a smaller throne, sat Erin Matthias, dressed in royal garb. Pure silver bracelets and a ruby dress, laced with actual rubies. On her head sat a silver circlet adorned with garnets and, of course, rubies.

In the past nine days, Yogg'Saron had gathered many human followers from this city. Some were coaxed by whispers of power during their sleep, sent by their new god. Some were recruited by the previously mentioned fellows, looking for the same whispers of power. Sitting before him now were twenty men and women of varying degrees of importance in the community. One, however, sat above them all, in Yogg'Saron's eyes. He was the mayor of this city, by the name of Theodore Quincy. This Quincy would be the Old One's political cannon fodder. The initial blast to take over this city.

Yogg'Saron gave his speech at a whim. He never wrote speeches, like many mortal political figures. His speeches were always designed to inspire specific purposes in his followers. In this case, he was discussing the upcoming raid. Plenty of soldiers had been hatched, and a warlord had been created to lead the hundred or so Faceless Ones into battle. The warlord was a huge Faceless One adorned with massive shells and glittering armor that bore the crest of the Black Empire.

Erin had brought up something interesting to him in the hours before this meeting. She had mentioned that the next day was a holiday known as Halloween, more or less the same as Hallow's End on Azeroth. This day, people dressed as monsters and creatures to inspire fear in one another. At least, that's how he understood it. He figured C'Thun would prefer to be here, leading the charge on the day of fear, but Yogg'Saron was happy to do so as well.

At the conclusion of the meeting, Yogg'Saron stood, in Kaldrun's body, and spoke in a less intimidating voice, but carrying just the same menace, "You all are the first supporters in the return of the Black Empire, and this promises you the power of a god. But know this; if any one of you are to betray or double-cross me, you will experience pain such that your little mortal minds could not imagine. Am I understood?"

The crowd had become tense and afraid, and replied with sloppy "Yes sir"s and "Ahh..?"s and "Y-Yeah, of course"s.

Yogg'Saron's eyes flared and he asked, "What?"

Suddenly the crowd of to-be gods lost their fear and tensity and replied in unison with, "Yes, Ancient One!"

Yogg'Saron smiled cunningly, "Good," and turned to Erin, lowering his voice so that only she could hear, "Now, we get to the true planning. Summon the Warlord."

Erin smiled seductively up at Kaldrun's face, "Yes, my lord."

                                                             ⇋

In the next few moments, the pocket dimension containing the meeting room had been emptied to all but Erin and Kaldrun's puppet body. The air at one end of the room rippled and crackled with orange energy, and suddenly the Warlord materialized. It was at least twice the size of a regular Faceless One and its horned head scraped the ceiling. It stood before the stage, looking down at Yogg'Saron and Erin. It bowed before Erin and gave Yogg'Saron a partial salute, inhibited by the low ceiling.