Chapter 15

To Erin's great surprise, Redrumei was returned safely within the cradle of Maldanormu's talons and Bellendore arrived soon after.

Maldanormu aided Redrumei in explaining to Bellendore what they needed, and Bellendore eagerly complied.

"Why, of course!" he exclaimed, striding in the direction of his tent, "Come, come. We will get to work immediately."

Everyone followed at a brisk pace, and as they reached the warlock's tent he had them wait outside.

"He's awfully eager," muttered Redrumei, to which Erin replied, "Ya know, maybe you should give him a bit more benefit of the doubt."

Redrumei scoffed, "Yeah, sure."

Erin sighed hopelessly, and soon Bellendore poked his head out, carrying a sack of supplies with him.

"Come," he said, striding away in the direction of a tall office building, "We have no time to waste."

They all followed him, each somewhat aggravated at his erratic movements. They approached the entrance to the office building and were greeted by two guards outside, "How can we help you?"

Bellendore fumbled with the back and blurted, "We need the top!"

The guard glanced at his partner, then back at the warlock, "Pardon?"

"We're trying..." still fumbling, "To get to the top. The roof!"

The guard nodded, "Of course. Go right on in. Elevator to your left."

They did so and all entered the elevator. It was cramped.

They finally reached the top and spilled out from the tiny room.

"Right," announced the old man, "I'll need everyone to follow my instructions to a tee. Can you all do that?"

They nodded, Redrumei grumbling slightly.

"Great."

He dropped the bag, which landed with a thump and turned to his party, "I'll need you, Redrumei and Erin, to watch the doors. Make sure nobody comes through them and if they do, politely ask them to leave. If they don't leave, just make sure they don't get to me. Maldanormu, I'll need that amulet of yours."

The warlock smiled innocently and reached out a gnarled hand. Maldanormu did not budge, "What are your intentions with it?"

"Correct me if I'm wrong, which I rarely am, but I do believe the amulets you share with Redrumei and Kaldrun contain some of each of your power. It will be much easier if you let me use your amulet, I can connect with him much more easily."

"Use Redrumei's amulet."

Bellendore's expression faltered slightly, "Very well."

He turned his gaze to Redrumei, who fished out her necklace reluctantly and handed it to Bellendore, "Return it."

"Of course," Bellendore bowed and backed toward the center of the platform upon which they stood, and where the bag of materials was sitting.

He stroked the amulet with his thumb in one hand, his other reaching into the bag and pulling out a large jar of grey-green powder, which he placed on the ground. He then fished through some more and pulled out a thin piece of tattered, charred purple leather. He put the leather next to the amulet, causing the green gem to shimmer gently.

He then put the amulet around his neck and crouched. He opened the jar and took a handful of the gray powder. He sprinkled it on the piece of leather, and it immediately ignited into a bright green flame, which was absorbed into the leather, revitalizing it. It seemed to plump up, and the fire licking its surface slowly died and sunk into it. It pulsed once.