Interlude: Erin's Dream

Wake up, Erin.

Erin jolted awake, but from her surroundings, she may as well have still been asleep. Everything was dark, not a single photon to provide--

"No. NO!"

Erin screamed futilely, her mind reeling in panic. How was she back? How had Yogg'Saron gotten her again?

Yogg'Saron hasn't gotten you, Erin. Open your eyes.

A clear, tranquil voice, a voice of reason, pierced Erin's foggy mind, and she realized her eyes weren't open.

She opened her eyes.

Not that things were much different. She was standing on dirt, or something like hard-packed dirt. It was cold, and breezy. Erin couldn't tell how large her visibility range was because everything was the same in every direction. Just a thick mist.

"Where am I?" Erin called out, hoping for some kind of answer, from somewhere.

The answer she received came from behind her.

Some form of purgatory, I suppose, said the voice of reason.

Erin whipped around, facing that voice.

That voice was a boy. A boy in mid-late teenage years with fair skin and dark hair, and piercing blue eyes that glinted despite the minimal light. His face was speckled with acne, and there was a small scar through his right eyebrow. He was dressed in a black t-shirt and blue jeans, and he held in his arms a closed book.

"Who are you?"

The boy pushed his spectacles against his face and spoke, and although his lips moved, his voice came from everywhere, I guess you can call me... God.

Wow, this guy was full of himself, huh?

Erin blinked, "What?"

The boy made movements as though he laughed, despite there being no sound.

Well, it's hard to explain. I don't want to go too into detail regarding who I am. For now, just know that I'm looking out for you. And Kaldrun. Especially Kaldrun.

"Wha-, why--," sputtered Erin, "Why? What? What's so special about us?"

Were you even listening all of the previous cha-- I mean, the past day? Immortal soul, dark magic, et cetera.

"Yeah, I guess so. But I mean me. What's so special about me?"

You're Kaldrun's connection to Earth. But seriously, stop asking me these questions. I shouldn't even really be talking to you right now. The whole reason I'm here is to just give you some comfort. I know having the fate of two universes on your shoulders is a lot, especially after all that stuff a few years back with Atarax Incorporated, but... I'm looking out for you. You'll do fine, Erin. You'll live out your story.

Erin just kind of gaped for a moment. Eventually, she regained her resolve, and exploded, "Who the hell are you, kid?! How do you even know about all this?!"

The "kid", who didn't appreciate being called "kid", just shrugged, I'm your guarding angel. Now, seriously this time. Wake up. And say hi to Red and Kal for me.

And before Erin could say any more, she woke up.