13. Selfish and Selfless

PRESENT •

One And A Half Years Later
Udaipur Palace, India.

N A N D I N I

It's sad, but it's the truth, that in every girls life, there comes a boy or a phase which changes you completely, so much that you'd never be the same again.

And that happened to me, one a half years back.

I am not the same girl anymore. My hair are no more in curls, they are straight and they fall to my waist. And I love singing. As weird as it sounds, Manik did not break me, he just made me stronger.

"Oh my god Nandini, you look so......", Aliya stopped midway as I flipped myself to greet their shock faces.

I wore light blue shorts with a full sleeve black plain fitted tee and my hair open. The make up I once despised was caked over my face.

"...different", Dhruv completes with an open mouth. Cabir just stands there with an open mouth as I, Aryamman and Abhimanyu got down of the car, back from London.

And here I was, back to India, back to my best friends, for Navya's wedding. But you know what's the worst about it? I don't even know whom Navya is getting married to.

I was so busy for the past year in building myself stronger, in hating Manik Malhotra, that I forgot I had a world except this. I and Navya drew so distant that I didn't even know whom she was getting married to.

"Earth To Nandini....", Aryamman shouted in my ears.

"Sorry, Sorry!" I flushed. My eyes involuntary searched if that monster was there but he was not and I thanked god for that.

I came off and hugged Cabir. "Thanks for coming", he whispered in my ears.

"Tum kyu thanks bol rahe ho?" I said, confused.

I was glad that no one was angry at me for disappearing for a year and still wished me in the same, old warm way.

"Ab shaadi Cabir ki hai, toh wahi thanks bolega na...", Dhruv said in a duh tone.

"Cabir ki shaadi?" I shouted in shock. "Yeh Navya ki shaadi hai!"

Alya, Dhruv looked at me horrified along with Aryamman and my gotten-up-from coma brother Abhimanyu. The fact that Aryamman and Cabir were hiding from me was that Abhimanyu was alive, he was in coma. Abhimanyu and Aryamman were childhood friends and Aryamman and Fab5 were college friends. So that's how Aryamman introduced a sleeping from six years Abhimanyu to Fab4 and Cabir promised to protect me just like a sister. They never told me that Abhimanyu was alive because there were no hopes of him surviving and they didn't want to give me false hopes. But here he is, on his feet, fit and fine with me.

"Nahi Nandini, yeh Cabir ki shaadi hai!" Aliya argued, bringing me back from my thoughts of the past.

"No, this is Navya's wedding. She came all the way to our house in London to invite us, haina?" Abhimanyu asked looking at me and I nodded. I was still not used to calling him Bhai like older times.

"Cabir ki shaadi!" Aliya gritted her teeth.

"Navya ki shaadi!" I argued.

"Cabir!"

"Navya!"

"GUYS SHUT UP!" Cabir shouted, fed up.

"Tu hi bata, yeh shaadi kiski hai?" Dhruv asked, as we all faced Cabir.