prologue

"saint francis, pray for us!"

The children said at the end of the prayer, with the sign of the cross. It was the first day back at school at Saint Francis Catholic School for eighth grader, Cassie Ledin, and she was ecstatic. No, not for Jesus or anything religious, but the fact that she would be able to hangout with her friends more often- and now could see Timothée every five days of the week. She glanced over at his desk as they sat down, pulling out their new school supplies. He had barely begun growing out his hair, but it had started to curl around his face. Just seeing his face again made her smile. Even though she had been going to school with him since St. John Preschool, she still felt something for him.
"Cassie!" Someone suddenly said next to her ear, smacking her arm. She turned her head to look at Ansel.
"What?" She hissed. Ansel and her had been close friends since fifth grade and always had sleepovers every Friday for three years. Just at that moment though, she was pissed. He had ruined her daydream.
"You're too obvious at staring. And I think you drooled on my desk." He retorted with a grin.
Cassie's eyes narrowed, "Oh shut it, Elgort."
They were shushed by the teacher near the board at the front of the room. She had written their schedules and made little notes on the sides. This year at St.Francis, they were allowed to have two electives, and Cassie was so excited to begin French and Art/Photography. When she signed up for the classes, the nuns in charge of Music and Band shook their heads as she wrote her name on those boards instead of theirs, wishing she continued to be an "excellent" flute player.
"Please write down your schedules, the first bell will ring in five minutes. Please hang up your backpacks and coats, and remember the policy: no phones allowed!" The teacher said, pacing in front of the board with narrowed eyes. Cassie quickly scribbled down her schedule.

cassie's schedule (schedule B)
8:10-9:00 algebra
9:00-9:50 biology
9:50-10:40 electives (art!)
10:40-11:30 english
11:30-12:10 lunch
12:10-1:00 electives (french!)
1:00-1:50 social studies
1:50-2:30 study hall (for students only taking electives that aren't spanish/speech)

Cassie's smile widened as the bell rang, starting her first class- which was sadly algebra- but the good part was that the majority of her classes had timothée in them. She was going to spend as much time as possible with that stupid boy.
She got up and put everything away in her locker, minding her own business in her own world as Ansel came up behind her again. "Schedule A or B?"
"B, you?"
"Same!" He smiled at her. Ansel then lowered his voice, "Guess who else has B?"
"Uhhh...Saoirse?" She guessed her other best friend.
Ansel shook his head, and Cassie slammed her locker, "Who?"
"Your little boy crush, duh." He replied, bumping their shoulders. "I've seen how you look at him. You've looked at him like that for years."
Cassie bit her lip and they began walking to Algebra, Timothée only people and steps ahead of them. "Don't tell anyone, Ansel."
He raised his arms in defense, "Wasn't planning on it." They found their seats in Algebra, and the world faded away.

***

"Only three kids in French?" Mr. Garrison sighed loudly as the children filed in. "This is the most disappointing class I've had in my twenty-two years."
The only three students who took French were Timothée, Saoirse, and Cassie.
"Sir?" Cassie started. He turned to her and looked extremely depressed. "Will we still have difficult material?"
"Doubtful," He said, shaking his head. His face became melancholy during the whole class, which was more of a study hall as he sat in the corner by his desk glumly.
The three students sat side by side at the tables. The tables all had scenes from famous French movies. Mr. Garrison said his wife had painted all the tables- they took about two weeks each since she wanted them to be identical to the film. Cassie traced her finger over their table, which was the scene from Amélie when she was on the bridge.
Timothée watched her as she was mesmerized. It truly was identical to the scene from the movie. His eyes were on her as she stared into space, not even noticing that he was completely enamored by her. He had started to develop a crush on her in sixth grade, when she came back from summer break a little bit taller and her freckles became darker. She was now two inches taller than him and still continued to wear braids in her hair at least three times a week. She would never admit it but it was because of how he always smiled when he saw her with them.
"Enjoying the view?" She whispered, now barely glancing at Timothée. He felt the blush creep onto his cheeks, but Cassie grinned.
Saoirse watched the two of them interact, heart eyes being shot out of their assholes they were so obvious they liked each other, and yet they were so oblivious about it.
But this was just the beginning of their love, this was just the beginning of Cassie and Timothée.

"i can't believe we'll be in six out of seven classes together next year, T."
"that's awesome. who would've thought to put us together again?"
"it'll definitely make up for the fact I don't get to see you until late july."
"don't worry, Cas. i'll facetime you every weekend, whatever you want. and we still have one week left together."
"of course. one week."
"and after that, we can hangout everyday if you want. i will gladly accept."
"you better! i love you, timothée."
"love you too, cassie."