act two / scene two

"I wish I was as beautiful as Timothée," Cassie sighed the instant she saw her best friend in the hallway. Saoirse giggled, "He sure is gorgeous."
Cassie shook her head with a smile, "Is it bad to say I'm jealous? Like he's fucking glowing."
Her childhood friend nodded along, "I completely agree. I wish I had that glow to me."
They began walking down the hall to him at 7:30. School would begin at 8:15 but they wanted to make sure they reunited with everyone. Violetta and Ansel were already at school as well, but they were finding their lockers and schedules first before they met up with Cassie and Saoirse in the commons around 7:45. "Timmy!" Cassie called out as they neared the tall boy.
He turned their direction from his photo and a smile grew on his face the second he noticed Cassie. "Cassie! Saoirse! How are you both?"
"Tired but," Cassie laughed and held up her cup of coffee. "What can ya do."
Timothée nodded along and showed them the large thermos he had full of hot tea, "I feel the same. Hopefully this keeps me up all day. Otherwise I sadly have a mountain dew in my locker."
Both girls smiled and they continued talking about their summers and how they have all been since the last time they hung out (they went to the movies two weeks prior to school). The group walked back towards the commons and sat at a circle table near the corner of the room by the band hallway.
Cassie had her head on her hands, "So, Timo, how's life been?"
He shrugged, "Other than having to get used to waking up early and have a daily schedule again, life's been good. How about you, Cassie?"
"Eh, tiring. At least with school I have a schedule."
Timothée slung his arm over her shoulder, pulling her close. She almost forgot what it felt like, being close to Timmy and smelling his cologne and wishing she could just be fucking alone with that angel of a human being.
She pursed her lips as she thought, staring at her newly manicured nails, when Ansel and Violetta broke her space and sat down across from the gang.
"So, how's life everyone?" Ansel asked with a wide smile, arms out for the group. The group he was looking at didn't respond enthusiastically and seemed to want to sleep or go home. Most likely both. "Oh, come on! It's the first day of school! Who knows what will happen?"
"And besides, it's a catholic school." Violetta said with a spooky voice. "Young love, sex, parties, and don't forget the main man: Jesus fucking Christ."
Saoirse shushed Violetta quickly, "Don't be rude, V! Shush!"
Violetta raised her eyebrows, "It's not like he'll smite me with a lightning bolt the minute I do something quote on quote 'wrong'. It's all bullshit humans have created."
Cassie moved closer to the table to listen to her friends debate religion, never moving too far from Timmy though. She felt safe near him, like always, but especially so now. She didn't know what it was about St. Thomas Moore, but she didn't get amazing vibes from some areas of the school.
Time ticked by and the friend group discussed everything and anything they hadn't in the span of the two weeks they didn't see each other. Ansel had gone to Chicago to see his aunt, Violetta went to New Jersey, Saoirse went to her grandma's in northern New York, and Timothée stayed home.
Cassie grinned when she heard that, knowing he was the type of person that can't just sit at home everyday and not do anything; and to hear that for the past two weeks he hadn't done much really surprised her. It seemed everything he did surprise her, including becoming friends with her.
The first bell rung, and Timothée muttered in her ear that he also had first hour Geometry, so they walked together through the halls and down the large staircase to the basement, where the math hallway was. His arm never left her shoulder, and the eyes never left the seemingly-perfect "freshman power-couple".

=====

"I don't think she understands how much I actually like her, Ansel." Timothée whispered in distress during a presentation in Biology. It was now fourth-hour and they were watching a PowerPoint on animal behaviors, but all Timothée cared about was talking to Ansel about girl troubles. "Either that or doesn't see the obvious hints."
"Maybe she just doesn't know if you sincerely like only her. You can be a player sometimes." Ansel replied, writing down about Pavlov's experiments.
Timothée pursed his lips and thought as he wrote nonsense in his binder. "I just really want to show her how much I love and care about her, but what if she doesn't like me?"
Ansel's eyebrows raised in the dark, "You have nothing to worry about, my friend."
"You better be right because I'm taking her to see a movie this weekend and when we get food later I'm planning to ask her out."
Ansel put both hands on his cheeks, "That is so cute? Holy shit, Chalamet, I'm so excited for you to be a dad, for fuck's sake."
"ELGORT, CHALAMET, BE QUIET." Their Biology teacher whisper-shouted over the presentation at them. Timothée shrunk down in his chair and didn't speak anymore, but also didn't take any valuable notes. He drew doodles of Cassie and the gardens she has near her neighborhood.