act two / scene one

"I can't believe it,"
Cassie cried when she woke up. It was now August in New York. Crisp air and the leaves beginning to change color outside, and her wardrobe was slowly becoming all sweaters as the weeks wore on. She woke up sadly realizing it was the first day of high school.
Summer had been long for her, which was surprising. Typically summer went by quickly, but since she didn't do much it carried on slowly. All she did that whole summer was go to Chicago for a week to visit her Aunt, then went for two weeks to Colorado, before coming back home and having Timothée stay with her for a few days. They had wanted him to stay at their house longer, but his parents didn't allow it; though Cassie did see him almost every other day if she wasn't with Anna or her group of friends from school.
Now it was school time, and even though she wished for four more hours of sleep, she knew she would be excited for this year. It was her freshman year, and she still had her close friends with her. As she groaned and slowly made her way out of bed, she realized how happy she was that it was now school time because now she could go to dances, and see plays- hell, she could finally go out of her comfort zone and do the musical at St. Thomas Moore. While she thought about her possibilities for the school year, she got her school uniform out. Cassie's school uniform was either a green, grey, or white polo shirt, khaki pants or a skirt, and they also had green and grey half-zip sweaters they could wear as well. She decided on the khaki pants and the green half-zip sweater because the skirts were extremely unattractive, and was ready for the day. Cassie slipped on her shoes, fixed her eyebrows because she never used makeup (even though she had acne, she was not a beauty guru and tended to not be able to find her right shades of concealer and foundation, making her look like Trump if she ever did it), then walked downstairs to find her mother already awake and making eggs.
"Morning!" Cassie exclaimed at 6:30.
"Wow, you seem ready for this year." Her mom replied with a grin. Cassie sat down at the island while her mom found a plate for her breakfast, then placed everything in front of her. "How excited are you for freshman year? Out of ten?"
"I'd say a six point five: because even though i get to see my friends everyday and the teachers seem okay, I also have to wear a uniform and it's catholic school."
Her mother wasn't very religious, but Cassie's father and the rest of their family were extremely religious. Her father and relatives all wanted her to have her first communion and be confirmed, but still continue a catholic education afterwards. Even though Cassie felt as if she had learned way to much about Catholicism, she still had to go to a Catholic school for another four years.
"I understand sweetie. Am I taking you to school or is one of your friends picking you up?" Her mom asked as Cassie ate her breakfast.
"Saoirse said her mom could take me to school, since they only live a few streets away."
"Lovely. That means after you leave I can go right back to bed."
Cassie finished getting ready and texted Saoirse by 6:50. Saoirse and her mom were going to take Cassie to pick up some much needed coffee and croissants before school, so they decided to go about an hour early to make sure they weren't late the first day.
Cassie waited by the front door and tied her shoes three times as she waited, then once she heard the familiar Buick honk, she slung her backpack over the shoulder and yelled "bye mom! love you!" as she left her home.
*******
As they got nearer the beautiful cafe in the heart of downtown, Cassie was bursting from excitement. Half was from having some coffee that didn't taste nasty and the other half was to see Timothée again and to hug him. She hadn't seen him in a week and it felt odd.
They entered the building, Saoirse and Cassie hand in hand as they walked up to the cashier to order seven donuts and coffee (of course with their own money).
Saoirse was humming as they waited for the donuts, lightly swinging their arms along to her song. Cassie listened for a few more minutes until she recognized that it was a Depeche Mode song. "I didn't know you liked Depeche Mode," Cassie whispered, her head now on Saoirse's shoulder.
"Really? That's actually really weird." She said with a grin. "I've been getting into them more recently."
"Any reason why?" Cassie asked.
Saoirse smiled, but it seemed more like one that she was trying to repress. "It's actually because a boy."
Cassie's eyes widened right as their donuts were ready in a bag, with their coffees in a carrying-case. She grabbed both swiftly, then continued the conversation as Saoirse and her left the cafe.
"You never told me you were into a boy!" Cassie exclaimed while they walked down the sidewalk to the intersection." Basically together everyday this summer but you never mentioned him once?"
Saoirse bit her lip, "I'm sorry, Cas! I didn't want to tell you just in case nothing happened between us. But something is happening between us!"
Cassie smiled then, "Well I understand that, but I wish you at least said you were interested in someone." The lights turned red and they crossed the street, still hand in hand like they were when they were young.