three; hey, sunshine!

"You sure you're alright? Cause if you're not we can just skip school today

       "You sure you're alright? Cause if you're not we can just skip school today. My dads not home, we could make a real good time out of it." Mary suggested to her boyfriend as she offered him a brief sly smile before turning her gaze back to the open road, driving towards school in her famous sports car — now with a fresh coat of red paint, recently done by said boyfriend the moment he arrived home the day before.

      Charlie Williams sat in the passenger seat, his seat belt unbuckled — something Mary often scolded him for, but still Charlie refused to use one. Mary didn't know why, she were sure Charlie just enjoyed being difficult.

The boy looked away from the window and to his girlfriend of now two years with a smile, "As tempting as that is, you and me both know we've gotta stick it out in school — since our parents are always hounding our asses." He reminded her and Mary groaned as they drove down the back-roads a little away from Charlie's house after picking him up — Mary loved the drive from there, it was relaxing with beautiful Hawkins scenery.

     "Correction, your parents have been hounding your ass. My dad's been pretty cool, it's my mom that's suddenly trying to act like mother of the year and make sure I graduate school. As if she ever bothered the years leading up to senior year." Towards the end of what she were saying, Mary's bitter voice took a solemn turn and Charlie frowned.

      He reached over, putting his hand on her bare thigh exposed from the new pair of torn denim shorts she had purchased whilst she were out shopping the week before. He gave her thigh a squeeze, "Mare, it's your mom's loss, not yours," He assured her and she sighed, "She's the asshole that bailed, not you. Alright?" He urged, leaning his head forward and catching her eye.

      Mary looked over at him, finding a smile working it's way to her lips and she nodded, "Yeah, alright." She agreed and Charlie leaned over, giving her a kiss on the lips as they drove down the straight road.

      "Hey, how's it going with your dad and the Hopper Lodge? He's been working on that thing for over a year, will it ever be finished?" Charlie asked curiously, addressing how since Christmas the year before, Jim Hopper suddenly took an interest in fixing up the old Cabin that Mary had not visited in years.

The Lodge was deep into the woods, between a vast amount of oak trees. The wooden house had been a getaway for the Hopper's, a place of certain relief and comfort — at least when they were once a family. Mary's grandparents used to visit and together, they'd all visit for the weekend, sometimes a week if Jim weren't too busy at the station.

Mary had loved that wooden house, she loved roasting marshmallows in the fire of the living room. She had loved snuggling up with her sister on the couch as their father read them bedtime stories. But that were just the thing, Mary had loved it — but no longer, because it were just a distant memory she hadn't visited in years.

      Mary scrunched up her face, "I have no idea." She told him as she grasped the cigarette packet from the side of her seat and flicked it open, letting go of the steering wheel. Charlie handed her his lighter and took the wheel whilst she lit the cig.