seventeen; soon

Mary had arrived home after under an hour of walking

     Mary had arrived home after under an hour of walking. She had went straight to her bedroom, not questioning why her father still wasn't home — she assumed he was still at the station. So whilst he was gone she went to his bedroom and crawled under his covers, pulling them up over her face.

They smelled like her father, a scent of old pine and cigarettes and it wasn't exactly like hugging her father, but at least it gave her the comfort of almost being there with her. And so, after a while of thoughts running through her mind, she finally fell into a sleep which for the first time in a while wasn't consumed with nightmares that had been reality a year back.

She woke and still her father wasn't home and so she grabbed one of his old flannels, tucked it into her jeans, grabbed her boots and got in her car without doing so much as brushing her hair or washing her face. She applied mascara she kept in her glove compartment each time she stopped at a red light, moving her shoulders to the beat of Duran Duran.

She was trying to keep her spirits high instead of worrying over her mothers reappearance, Charlie's disappearance and Billy's drama the previous night. Overall, she just planned on driving out to the old Hopper Lodge and maybe helping her dad clean it up a bit.

Due to there not being a road leading to the lodge and instead a small path, she had to park her car a good bit away and walk the rest of the way there. Which wasn't actually much of a chore to Mary. She hadn't walked to the lodge in such a long time and as a kid, she had always loved the hike. Though, the walk was missing a few members.

After walking through the crisp leafs and bare trees for the longest of time, she smiled in relief at the sight of the cabin. She stopped to admire it, squinting in the Autumn sun. She could briefly remember her and Sara's giggles as they played out in the front porch and at the old tree swing her father had made them a little down the way.

She moved forward before suddenly stopping when she almost walked into a trip-wire. She rolled her eyes, heaving out a sigh, "Really, dad?" She mumbled as she stepped over it, making sure to keep a look out for anymore traps her mental army-guy father seemed to have made.

She reached the front porch, trailing her fingers against the wood where her initials were scrawled against it — she had did it with the key to her father's truck. Right underneath it were Charlie and Steve's initials and she smiled softly to herself, running her thumb over the dents they had created as children.

Mary got out of her crouch and walked up to the front door that was locked. She knocked on it, swaying on her feet, "Hey, dad? You in there?" She called in, looking at the windows that were boarded up, leaving barely any room for light to shine through and she furrowed her brows.

"I thought he was supposed to be fixing this up, not making it a fortress," She mumbled under her breath, taking a look around. She sighed in agitation, "Dad? Come on, you better be in there! I walked all the way up here!" She exclaimed, nudging the door with her foot.