twenty-four; the heebie jeebies

Mary sat tucked underneath Charlie's arm on the couch

        Mary sat tucked underneath Charlie's arm on the couch. Somehow, he had managed to doze off and his head was hanging back against the cushions as he snored lightly. Mary hadn't even tried to sleep — she just lay under his arm with her head on his chest, staring ahead and keeping an eyes on the kids, even though Steve was doing a decent job of keeping them grounded and entertained.

As more time passed, she began counting how many times Mike walked back and forth in the kitchen. Since she had started counting, she had counted fifty-four times. And apparently she wasn't the only one to notice his pacing when Lucas yelled, "Mike, will you just stop already?!" as he suddenly jumped up and glared at the boy with wide eyes.

Mike did stop, but he showed he wasn't happy about it by arguing back, "You weren't in there, okay Lucas? That Lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs." Mike said, expressing his worry of Eleven being back in the dangerous laboratory.

"Demodogs!" Dustin exclaimed.

"Mary's dad will take care of her, right Mary?" Lucas said, glancing across at the teenager that hummer in agreement, sitting up a little.

Max scoffed, "Yeah, like she needs it." That earned a glare from Mike.

Steve stepped in, trying to stop their bickering, "Listen dude, a coach calls a play in the game, bottom line, you execute it alright?" Mary winced, knowing that wasn't going to go well with Mike and so she sat up, moving away from the warmth of Charlie's body.

She crossed the room, yawning as Mike went off on one, "Okay, first of all, this ain't some stupid sports game!" He yelled, "And second of all, we're not even in the game! We're on the bench." He corrected Steve, folding his arms at his chest and looking at Steve pointedly, waiting for him to respond.

Steve stammered, "So my point is, um —"

"Yeah, Steve. What's the point?" Mary edged him on, looking at him sideways as she joined him. The kids were all looking to the teenagers, expecting them to have some sort of speech maybe? Mary at least wanted Steve to deliver.

Steve fumbled over his words and Mary nudged him in the ribs, "Uh, right yeah, we're on the bench so, uh, there's nothing we can do." He caved in, tossing a dishcloth he had in his hand over his shoulder like an exasperated parent.

Mary looked at him, widening her eyes and throwing her hands up, "Steve!"

"That's not entirely true," Dustin chimed in. Everyone looked at him, "I mean these demodogs, they have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away." He continued saying. Mary wanted to ask what bus they were talking about but decided it wasn't that important.

"If we can get their attention," Lucas started, "Maybe we can draw them away from the Lab," Max added, "And clear a path to the gate." Mike finished. They all seemed to be having a revelation whilst Mary and Steve stared at them as though they were crazy.