PROLOGUE

"Flo, could you call in Jacob Stratford? I wanna ask him a few more questions about his stolen car

"Flo, could you call in Jacob Stratford? I wanna ask him a few more questions about his stolen car." Mary Hopper said as she passed by the lady that the girl had known since she were a child — she were her fathers brain sometimes, she supplied him with caffeine and updates on cases.

The elderly woman gave her the thumbs up and Mary offered her a smile as she headed to her fathers office. She slipped inside, managing to not drop any of the heavy binders she had piled in her arms — her father had asked her that morning to sort through some old files since they were trying to clean the station up a bit; Mary would never turn down the opportunity to read up and sort through old cases.

She plopped them onto her fathers desk who was already out on duty. She made her way to his coffee maker which Jim rarely used — he said he preferred Flo's coffee. So Mary tended to use it more than him, supplying herself with enough coffee to get her through school and her 'unofficial-official apprenticeship'.

The girl made her black coffee, tossing in a number of spoonfuls of sugar she didn't count. She were the opposite of her father, he preferred his coffee milky with no sugar. Mary on the other hand liked hers black with as much sugar she could have without giving herself diabetes.

Mary picked up her ceramic cup which had the words 'best daughter' in a cursive font on it and padded to her fathers chair before plopping herself onto it — usually, she sat beside Flo with her half of the desk they shared. But when her father was out on duty, Mary sat alone in his office, enjoying the quiet and comfort the office brought.

The girl tucked a small strand of her recently short cut hair behind her ear which had been tied into a low small ponytail earlier that morning as she picked up the first binder, swinging it open, "Alright, let's find out what you bad boys have in you." She said, picking up her mug with both hands, soaking up the heat and reading handwriting she noticed as her fathers and Powell's — she didn't know Callahan's handwriting since he barely did written work.

The girl was quite content, the sun setting through the window behind her, sending an orange glow through the office giving no reasons to put the light on. The steam from her coffee rose up, keeping her face and hands warm as she intently read the pages, occasionally holding the cup with one hand to turn the page.

She had started with the reports of 1983 and planned on working backwards from there. Jim had wanted any reports from under 75 stored away in the basement instead of clogging up space in the drawers spread throughout the station.

Mary's face softened at the sight of the report she had came across. She was almost shocked it were there, having trying to push the thought of the case coming up soon in the reports — she had just thought there would have been more incidents in 84 before she got to 83.

At the top of the page the date was November 6th, 1983 — the night Will Byers went missing. The report described the incident with the best details they were given, the false ones at least. That after a week, Will was found in the woods, not The Upside Down. Everyone involved in that incident had to sign documents swearing they'd never speak of what happened — all but Corina who was a ghost to Hawkins Lab, having no idea of her return.