chapter 5

I was holding a glass in my hand and examining the alcoholic drink. My eyes were slightly narrowed and my head was tilted to the side in thought until Jiyong's sharp elbow hit my side. I groaned in pain and she shot a fake smile in my direction, before pushing her hair behind her ear and smiling: '' Stop doing that. You are embarrassing me. ''

'' I'm just trying to figure out what they put in the cocktail to make it cost so much, '' I muttered and scowled with disapproval. '' Gold. ''

Jiyong looked at me like I was an idiot. '' Did you not see the small print that says there are real gold flakes in it? ''

It was still the least expensive thing in the bar that she took me to that afternoon. It was early Monday afternoon, I was still half asleep from staying The garden of sins until three in the morning and I regretted not getting an espresso martini instead of the cocktail that I chose, but there was nothing that I could do about it now. We were sitting on two high stools at the bar and there was only a few other people at the other tables in the dimly lit room. I was impressed by the curtains made of tiny diamonds, but I couldn't help it but to wonder why she chose this hotel bar, out of any other places in Seoul.

'' You want to know what's this place, don't you? '' Jiyong spoke up and made me turn my head. She was looking at her lime cocktail and there was a faint smile on my face. '' This s the place where I used to come to look for old men. You know, the ones that I slept with for money. ''

I took a sip of my drink and lowly asked: '' Why did you even do that? Was it really just to get more shopping money? I don't believe that, your parents are filthy rich and they would surely give you more cash if you would ask for it. '' 

She leaned her chin on her palm and used her arm for support. A tired sigh came out of her mouth and her face changed from her usual happy expression. Her typically bright eyes got a lot more dull and sadness filled her voice: '' Why did I do that? Sometimes I ask myself that too. I was just in a really bad place and I guess I craved attention from older men to fill the void that my dad left in my heart. He was never really there for me when I was still young and now I push him away when he tries to fix our relationship. It was never about the cash, but that's really all that there is to it. ''

'' I guess every family has some kind of problem, '' I seriously answered, thinking about my own mother and father. '' I know I'm not really nice to you most of the time, but I'm glad to hear that you stopped doing that. ''

'' You don't need to think like that. It's not like I'm ashamed of it or anything. It's a part of my past and I've accepted it, '' she replied, sipping her lime cocktail. 

I glanced towards her from the side and observed her serious face. '' Why can't you accept your breakup with Chanyeol and leave it in the past? ''

She took another sip of her cocktail, then she put the glass down and opened her purse. She was one of those girls who carried an enormous bag to school, but still asked me if she can borrow a pencil every single morning. She had some wrinkled up paper inside it, but most of the space was taken by an enormous makeup bag and a pink water bottle that had something questionable inside it. Today there was a big folder inside it, making me raise my eyebrow with surprise. '' Did you steal your medical file from your psychiatrist and you want me to hide it now? ''

'' Didn't you tell me to get information on Byun Baekhyun and Gang Sungho? I've been working on that, since it was proving to be a lot more interesting than my history assignment and here is what I've gathered so far, '' she answered and smugly smiled. '' I spoke to like fifteen of Baekhyun's ex girlfriends and I befriended Sungho's daughter. She is this silly little nerd at our school and she was more than ready to tell me everything about her father as soon as I graced her with my attention. ''