Chapter 5

Ezra's P

Ezra's P.O.V

"Ezra," dad said sternly after I wasn't responding to his questions for the fifth time. I ducked down a little in the passenger's seat.

He continued to pester, "What's wrong? You've been acting strange after you came out of the bathroom."

I stubbornly stayed silent to afraid to look up into concerned green eyes. I didn't want to talk about the reason that I'm upset. To afraid to see what his reaction would be if he knew. What was I supposed to say?

   Hey, your girlfriend is nice and all but the only mistake is that her daughter has been my sworn enemy since first grade.

   Yeah...like taking a bullet to the heart. That's my comparison for what his reaction would be like. A bullet straight through the heart and the everlasting bleeding of guilt, anger, and more. Then...back to square one.

   The bottles...

   The darkness...

   Hateful words...

   Beatings...

   I shivered at the very thought and gripped my arms, shrinking into the seat even more feeling smaller. Dad must of noticed because I could feel worried eyes burning through the back of my head.

   Still...I didn't want to go back to those days. Not when he finally looks happy to live life for once. He seemed more at peace with himself when he was with Hera and I didn't want to take that away from him.

   Cause I'm not the one that makes him happy...Hera does. When I'm with him, he gets drunk until Hera came and suddenly...he's happy. Happy with her...not me. Does he need me?

   No.

   A simple answer but with so much meaning behind it and...it hurt...a lot.

"Ezra..."

I snapped out of my thoughts and finally found the guts to look dad in the eyes.

"Did I do something wrong? Did you not like Hera or Sabine? What's wrong? You are really scaring me," he said.

"Well, one out of the two," I thought. Then I mustered a smile. A fake smile while lying, "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just glad you found someone."

The look in his eyes seemed to uncover my little lie but didn't say a peep about it. Instead, he nodded unsure and began, "You know..."

His hand was placed onto my shoulder while looking me dead on.

"...if there's something bothering you. You can always come to me, right?"

He sounded so raw. So genuine. No slurred excuses or horrible lies or blind rage. Just pure blissful sincerity.