Chapter 9

Sabine's P.O.V

   I can't believe I agreed to this.

   Ezra and I were walking towards the kitchen since standing in the hall was already becoming awkward. We made our way through the living room when Ezra suddenly spoke.

   "What is that? A cat?" He asked, pointing to a sleeping Chopper.

   "That's just, Chopper and no, he is not a cat. He's a fennec fox," I answered, rolling my eyes. Chop did not look anything like a cat. Where did he even get that idea from?

"Just don't get on his bad side," I added, warningly. We walked into the kitchen to see mom making breakfast. She looked our way and gave a warm smile.

"Hello, Ezra. Did you have any breakfast?" She asked.

"Yeah, thanks for the offer though," he said, politely. My eyes widen a bit in surprise since this was the first time I've heard him acting like some sort of gentleman. This is such a weird morning. Can I just go back to my nice warm bed and forget we have my arch enemy as our guest?

   I slouched in my seat. This is going to be a long day if he acts like he's so innocent around my mom. Then instantly changes once she turns her back on us. I even glanced over at Ezra once my mom's back faced us. To my surprise, he just stared on straight without even a simple glance.

"Here, Sabine," my mother's voice called, making me look her way. She smiled and put a plate of pancakes in front of me. I thanked her then took a bite out of the warm food.

   "Are you sure you don't want any?" Mom asked him again. He declined and took off his bag, setting it onto the floor. I quietly listened as mom and Ezra talked to each other about random things like school and life. Blah blah blah.

"Are you and Sabine friends at school or have some sort of communication?" Mom asked. I was drinking my juice at the moment and almost choking when hearing the question. Oh, the irony.

   Ezra and I glanced at each other quickly before he smiled. He slung an arm around my shoulders.

   "Yeah, we're good friends," he lied. My mind began to form the word 'frienemies,' before putting on the worst fake smile ever. I guess we're going to have to try to get along if we want to break them up.

Soon, Ezra and I went to my room. I nervously opened the door and we walked into a sort of messy room. I shut the door and it seemed that Jarrus made himself at home at my desk's seat.

"So...any ideas?" I asked.

"I've got one idea. We'll call it Plan A," he said, a mischievous smirk formed on his lips. I felt a seed of guilt blossom in my stomach. My mom finally found happiness and here I am, about to take it away. Somehow, I'll make it up to her once the job is finished.

There was just no way I'm going to live with the thing sitting on my chair. No possible way to get along with him until I move out.

"We exploit each other's weakness to both subjects. You know, their flaws and what not until they can't stand each other," Ezra explained.

"Don't you feel a little guilty about this? Our parents found happiness in each other and we are about to take it away," I questioned. There was something radiating off of the blank look he gave off. Something of regret, remorse and...fear? I grew suspicious with Jarrus as his facial expression changed into the devious one.

"Trust me, they'll be fine once everything is back to normal," he reassured. Yet, the gleam in his eyes dulled, telling a different story. One that I'm going to get, Sabine style. My eyes landed on his book bag.

   "You want to do some homework?" I asked. He gave me a strange look.

   "What?"

   "This early in the morning?" He questioned.

   "Well, what else do you want to do to pretend 'getting along?'" I asked. He sighed, seeming to not have a clue before getting out his English homework.

   "I can't believe I was convinced to do this," he grumbled. Then asked, "Can you please help me on my homework?"

   I grabbed my own English and pulled over my stool from my easel to sit next to Jarrus. Sighing, I grabbed a pencil.

   "Lets just get this over with," I muttered. We began on our English homework. Ezra would ask some questions here and there on the sheet. I would tell him if he was right or wrong, then try to explain how it is the correct answer.

   "You're such a nerd," Ezra teased.

   "This nerd is helping you with your homework so she expects you to be nice or else she will finish hers and let you sit here to struggle," I said, innocently. He grumbled an apology then went back to work. I proudly went back to teaching with my hidden weapon of blackmailing.

A minute later, he twisted in my chair, saying, "I'm bored, let's do the plan."

I raised an eyebrow and shrugged since I already have all my homework done. I've got nothing better to do other than doing some form of art.

"You go and tell your mom something that she'll find very repulsing about my dad. It'll make her think over her decision on dating him," Ezra explained. I was about to ask him what I should say but before unknowingly finding myself in the living room.

Jarrus was hiding in the hall and giving me a thumbs up with an evil smile on his face. I nervously walked up to the back of the couch and leaned on it. I somehow pulled off a happy facade and reached out to tap my mother's shoulder but froze.

"Mommy?" I called knocking on the door, worried. She's been hiding in her room all day and hasn't come out. Sometimes there would be the sounds of silent cries and incoherent words. I would try every now and then to see if I could get any response.

There was never one.

Did I do something wrong? Was I a bad girl and now mommy is going to ignore me forever? Is she going to abandon me just like daddy did to us because of me?

Am I a pest? A burden?

I knocked on the door harder.

"Mommy!" I called out louder. Please, don't say it's true! Don't let it be the reason! Every time I try and convince myself it wasn't my fault. Every time I make up theories or explanations. It didn't matter.

"MOMMY!" I screamed, tears cascading down my face.

Cause it'll always lead back to me. How do I know this?

She still hasn't answered the door.

   "...Mommy..." I whimpered one final time before falling to my knees and started sobbing my eyes out.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Stay tuned and adios!!!!😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😄😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁