Chapter 14

Flashback

*Sabine's P.O.V*

Today is the first day of school. I was determined to make friends this year with and couldn't wait to meet new kids! I happily imagined me playing with someone on the playground or coloring during free time.

This year is going to be great!

I saw my first target on the other side of the classroom. He looked new and shy but I gladly skipped over to introduce myself.

"Hi! I'm Sabine! What's your name?" I asked, politely. The boy's head looked up at my nervously and fiddled with his fingers.

"E-Ezra," he replied.

"Cool," I commented and looked to see a book in front of him.

"What are you reading?" I asked.

"I don't know."

I raised an eyebrow and wondered why he didn't know. It seemed like he was in the book pretty far to know what it's about.

"Why?" I asked, suspiciously.

"I-I can't read," he admitted.

"That's weird, then why are you even looking at the book?" I asked, weirded out.

"I like looking at the pictures," he said.

I scoffed and grew angry. How dare he not read the book but just looks at the pictures? Why couldn't he read? I bet that was an excuse to get attention.

"Loser," I spat and turned around to walk away until feeling something jump onto me.

The next thing I knew, we were sent to the principals office. I had a black eye and Ezra had some scratches on his face. Our parents sat next to us and talked with the principal. I could tell mom was very mad and disappointed in me. There would be yelling and punishment when we get home. I just know it.

Soon, we left the school and the weirdo's dad was talking with my mom. I wanted to get away as far as possible from Ezra.

"Sabine, what do you tell, Ezra?" Mom asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked up at her with disbelief and she returned it with a stern glare.

"Sorry," I huffed, crossing my arms.

"S-Sorry," Ezra replied, shyly. He's acting innocent! Why that little...

"Come on. We're going home," mom said, tugging me to the car. I followed wanting to get out of there as quick as we could. I buckled up in my seat just as mom started the car and drove down the road.

"You're better than this, Sabine," Mom spoke, anger and sadness laced in her voice. I bowed my head in guilt for being so hard for mom. Why can't I get anything right? Why can't I make her happy just like dad had before...before I came.

I rubbed my misty eyes and ignored the twisting of guilt.We arrived home and went inside a silent as we left.

   I paused when hearing the sounds of silent cries. I raised my head to look up at mom's back and shaking shoulders. That's what I did, I hurt her. Slowly, I walked over to her with crossed arms then reached out a shaky hand when there was a foot left.

   "Sabine," Mommy gasped. I froze before walking around and standing in front of her. The sight broke my heart and felt tears burn my eyes.

"I'm trying so hard...so very hard. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Why am I such a horrible mother? Why am I such a horrible wife? Why...just why? How can I raise you to be a good girl when I can barely keep myself together?" Mom questioned more to herself than me. I finally let the tears fall and cry.

"I'm s-sorry, m-mommy," I apologized. We were so torn and couldn't quite put back together. I knew someday that we can fit the pieces and become closer but when will that day come? When will mommy finally get over dad? When will I start being a good daughter? Why is are family so broken? Why aren't we good enough for him? Why am I not an acceptation?

Mommy finally looked up with red eyes and tracks down her delicate face. She raised her hand and lifted only her pinkie finger.

   "Promise mommy that you'll never fight with anyone at school again," she rasped.

This was the time that I proved that I can be good. This is my moment that I can be an acceptation. I raised my pinkie finger and latched it around hers before staring her straight in the eyes.

"I promise, mommy."

End of Flashback

"Ezra!" I called, finally catching up and stopping him. He tried to break out of my grip but it was to strong.

"Calm down! I know this is bad but-"

"SHUT UP! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND A THING ABOUT ME AND WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH!" Ezra yelled. The pain and emotion surprised me so much that my grip loosened. He kept running down the hall and I soon followed. I kept trying to stop him but it was no use.

Kanan and Hera met with us in the hall probably after hearing Ezra screaming his head off.

"What's going on?" Kanan asked, looking at the both of us with wide eyes. Hera was next to him and checking if we were okay. My eyes looked over at boiling, red-faced Ezra.

His body was stiff with rage and I thought steam would burst from his ears.

"YOU LIED! MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE, YOU LIED TO ME!" Jarrus yelled at Kanan. I didn't know what to do. I stood frozen in my spot, staying quiet and a safe distance from Ezra. I've heard what he could do with kids that were two feet taller than him. It wasn't good.

Mom gaped like a fish in shock, not knowing what to say or do. Kanan tried his best to calm Ezra down but he just wouldn't have it.

"Ezra, calm down and tell me what's wrong," Kanan said, gently.

"I DON'T NEED TO TELL YOU A THING. YOU AREN'T MY DAD!" Ezra shouted. He then shoved his way passed a shocked Kanan and my flabbergasted mom. I wanted to do something but my legs wouldn't respond. Kanan cursed under his breath before running when he heard the front door opening and shutting.

Mom snapped out of her daze as well before walking over to me. My mind was filled with what just happened that I didn't hear her worrying questions. Instead of answering, I ran past her and followed the two boys into the night.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Stay tuned and adios!!!!😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁