Chapter 10

Ezra's P.O.V

    "What do you mean you couldn't do it?" I asked, frustrated. How did I not see this coming? I should of just done it myself if I knew this weakling wouldn't have the guts.

I paced the floor trying to let all the steam out. Sabine sat at her desk and stared straight at the wall, back turned to me. She wouldn't turn around and the only thing that she said was not being able to complete the mission.

"I would've done it myself, Nerd. You should of told me before we went out there," I said, stopping my pacing and crossing my arms. Sabine didn't respond.

"Well...aren't you going to say anything? Maybe the reason you couldn't do it you big-,"

"Shut up!" She yelled. I immediately shut my mouth and was so surprised that my eyes widen. Sabine stood from her chair and leaned her hands on the top of the desk.

"For once in your life, shut up and listen since you're freakin to deaf to hear anything. Most importantly though, you're blind to see the pain you have caused me over the years. The torment. The bulling I've had to deal with since first grade," She spoke, anger laced in her voice.

My mouth went dry and my mind went blank once she turned to face me. Her face was crinkled with rage and teeth clenched so tight that you might need a crowbar just to open it.

"You played people, joked, and ruin lives just so you can have your pedestal be the tallest. What do you think is going to happen once you graduate? You're little popularity and fame is going to last in high school. Then once you're in the real world, you better take a real good reality check bucko. Cause once you are out, that pedestal will mean nothing anymore. SO GROW UP!"

Her face was red and eyes so cold that it could kill. If looks could kill, I might as well be buried six feet under. My mouth was left agape and eyes wide as a saucers. This was the first time someone at school stood up to me. To me. The quiet and sorta shy, Nerd was the first one to ever smack me without even touching me physically.

Yet, I wasn't about to give up the fight. Sabine was a lot of things decides good at some sports, art and English.

She is one of the reasons why I'm like this.

This isn't a 13 Reasons Why kind of life that I wanted to get involved with. This isn't about how the girl gets the guy or a hero saves the day in the end. This is real life and life always finds a reason to push buttons that are out of our control.

Sabine presses one of those buttons. She doesn't know the life I've lived. Doesn't know about my past or background. No one at school does. What happens in my house, stays in my house. It does not go any further from there.

I didn't build no pedestal. The people around me do that, her included. They make me who I am so I wouldn't call it a pedestal.

I would call it Alcatraz.

My life is a prison with no windows to shine a a ray of hope. No doors that will open. No comfort in the four walls that bound me. No warmth except the little bit offered by a ragged blanket. My friends are the rats that crawl around the cell happily with their family.

I was alone even when I have people surrounding me. I'm a survivor.

"You know what...," I spoke blankly. She didn't say anything, just kept glaring and waiting for a response. An answer that I don't have.

"I think you're the deaf and blind one." I grabbed my bag and slung it onto my shoulder before leaving the room, slamming the door behind me. I rubbed my eyes when the anger vanished into a foreign sadness. Do not cry. You are not weak anymore. You can handle it. Just. Don't. You. Dare. Shed. A. Single. Tear.

After gaining my composure back into gear, I walked down the hall and put on my mask. My facade, it's how I get through life and it's game of pain. No pain, no game. Right?

If Sabine wasn't going to be the one to complete Plan A. Then I better take it into my own hands myself. No one ever gets anything done unless they do it themselves.

I marched into the kitchen to find Hera making cookies. My mouth watered and taste buds barked for the flavor of melted chocolate and texture of soft baked dough.

It's been a long time since I've had an actual baked cookie at home. Dad only buys the snack kind at Wally World. He says if he tries to make them, then they'll burn.

"Hey, Ezra," Hera chirped, sweetly. I was brought out of my childlike dream of wanting for a cookie to look at her.

"Want a cookie? They are freshly made right out the oven and still toasty," Hera said, trying to convince me to grab one. It worked. I snatched a cookie and thanked her before gobbling it down.

"These are so good," I moaned in delight, mouth full of cookie.

"Could you please not talk with your mouth full? I don't know what it is today with kids needing to talk with mushed food in their mouth," she pleaded. I managed to gulp the cookie down before talking again.

"Could I talk to you for a moment?" I asked.

"Sure," She said, sliding in another batch then shutting the oven. Hera took off her glove and we sat down at the counter.

"I'm not sure if you knew this but I should warn you about my dad," I said. She raised an eyebrow and nibbled on her own cookie.

"What would that be? He's dated out girls before me or anything he cooks will burn or that he sometimes cries every time he watches Titanic," she joked. I felt my mouth twitch a bit and imagined my dad doing that stuff. It was kind of funny thinking about the last one.

Shaking my head and keeping a serious face, I looked her straight in the eyes.

"My dad, he's a-"

I was cut off by the sound of a gun shot and screaming from down the hall.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Stay tuned and adios!!!!😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁