New Neighbors [5]

*Chapter 5: New Neighbors *

The weekend came quick and I was glad to sleep late. I woke up Saturday at noon and shuffled downstairs where my dad was at the table reading the newspaper and sipping his coffee.

"Hey pumpkin," he said to me when he realized I was there.

"Hey," I said groggily before yawning. "Where's mom?" I asked, looking around.

"She went to go grab some groceries," my dad answered.

I shrugged and walked over to the cupboard, grabbing a mug and making myself some coffee.

Just as I walked to the table and sat down with my dad, coffee in hand, my mom walked through the door smiling happily. Oh, and she wasn't even carrying the groceries.

"Guess what?" she screamed excitedly.

My dad, just noticing her presence, turned his attention from the newspaper to her.

"What, sweetie?" he asked.

"We have new neighbors!" she said, smiling. Then, walking into the kitchen, she began rummaging around saying, "Oh gosh, I need to make something for them."

'Wait, what house did they move into?" I asked my mom.

"The house on the left of us," she said.

My eyes went wide as I choked on my coffee. "I'll be right back."

I bolted up the stairs to my bedroom where Candy, my little Yorkie puppy, was comfortably laying on my bed.

When she saw me, she jumped off the bed and ran to me, licking my leg. I smiled, picking her up before walking over to my window and sitting down on my window seat.

Sure enough, we had new neighbors. I saw a guy in the room across from me, unpacking his things. Shirtless. I stared, my mouth hung open.

I felt a tug on my pants and looked down to see Candy. She had her leash in her hands, obviously wanting to go on a walk.

"Come here," I said, patting the spot on the seat next to me.

She pulled back a little bit before jumping up next to me on the seat. I played with her for a little while before a noise startled me, making me fall off the seat.

"Ouch," I said, landing on the floor with a thud.

I stood back up and rubbed my head. When I looked, I noticed the guy that had moved next to me was smirking, his window open.

I opened my window carefully, scared he'd throw another one and hit my head.

"Don't tell me you keep rocks in your room," I told him.

He smirked at me saying, "Found a few outside and decided to keep them. Guess I'll have to keep some more in here." He winked at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, welcome to the neighborhood but throwing rocks and making people fall on the floor won't make you gain any friends," I told him.

"But I'm sure these babies will," he said, standing up to expose his abs I had been staring at minutes ago.

I blushed but rolled my eyes, trying to seem unaffected by it. "Well, not with me," I said.

Before he could answer, I heard my mom calling my name.

"Be right there!" I yelled back.

I turned back towards the window to see Candy with her paws resting on the window, her tail wagging and her tiny little head cocked to the side. She looked adorable.