9

"Hey, did you get caught in the attack?" Alya asked Marinette as she met up with her friend in front of the school after reassuring her parents she was okay and could go return.

"Yeah. Class hasn't started yet?"

The auburnette shook her head. "Usually when this happens they either give us the rest of the day off or start up late."

"How often does this happen?" She asked, following Alya back inside the school. The idea that akuma attacks were a regular occurence here...

"Three or more times a week," She said. "Actually, I've recorded footage of every battle since the very first one with Ladybug and Chat Noir. I put it all on my blog."

"Wow. Seriously? Isn't that dangerous?" Marinette's brows furrowed. Did her friend actually follow the villains around? 

"Well, I guess, but I trust Ladybug and Chat Noir to protect everyone. I've never gotten hurt. Hey - I can show you my blog later if you're free."

She laughed. "I don't see why I wouldn't be."

"Hey guys, are you both okay?" said Nino from behind. He caught up to them as they stepped back into the classroom. 

"Yeah, the attack wasn't very close to here," answered Alya. "I think everyone's alright."

Nino sat down in his seat, Adrien absent. "That's a relief." 

Mrs. Bustier began the class a few minutes later, resuming the movie that was playing only a few hours ago, when Adrien burst into the classroom. "Sorry, sorry! I was, uh, I got caught in an explosion - but I'm fine, so..."

"That's alright, Mr. Agreste," said the teacher, motioning with a hand to sit down in his seat. On his way, he glanced up at Marinette and -

Blushed.

Adrien blushed. And she wasn't the only one to see it. Nino and Alya both looked at her at the same time, eyebrows raised. She shrugged. 

She thought Adrien hadn't liked her back - though what would she know? Maybe he was keeping his crush a secret like she had been. 

Nah. That was ridiculous. 

//

The bell rang only an hour later, thanks to the akuma, and the class filed out. Marinette hadn't remembered anyone else's name, and she still felt like most of them were complete strangers. Maybe Alya had simply mentioned Rose and Chloe and it had clicked in her head.

The fear of never remembering her life was becoming increasingly drastic. Seventeen years of Marinette - gone. Just like that.

She sighed. 

Alya and Marinette said their goodbyes to Nino and Adrien, heading to the bakery. Alya had promised she would show Mari her blog, but she had to go watch her twin little sisters because her parents were going on "Date Night," which Marinette's own parents were planning for the weekend after the next. They had already asked her several times if she would be okay two nights alone. They were going to visit relatives in China. She had reassured them profusely she would be just fine - that she didn't abandon basic needs like she had her memory.

It annoyed her, the coddling. She was sick of people asking if she was okay, if she needed anything. She needed to remember, but there was no way anyone could do anything about that. She could take care of herself just fine. All she wanted was to feel like she belonged - but everywhere was a new place, and every person was a new face. 

She was lost in her own home.

Walking inside the bakery, they greeted Marinette's parents and headed up to her room, powering on her computer. Alya showed her the blog and how to navigate it, and then had to leave.