12

"I just feel like things are changing. And I don't know if it's a good thing or not yet." 

How were things changing? She didn't understand. So he didn't like Ladybug anymore - which was Marinette - and he thought maybe it was a good thing?

Why? 

Marinette rolled over in her bed, looking away from Chat Noir. "What's changing?"

He sighed, shifting a bit and making the mattress move. "I don't know."

It was quiet for a long moment, and suddenly Marinette felt exhausted. The long day and the akuma attack had worn her out. Her eyes closed and her senses shut down. 

She dreamed of a black cat tucking her in and slipping away into the night. 

She dreamed of a black cat looking at the stars and asking himself, "What is this?" 

She dreamed of a black cat as he leapt across roofs and checked the city of Paris for danger. She saw him stop a girl from leaping off of the Eiffel Tower and she saw him make sure she got home okay. She watched him stop a robbery and save an elderly man who was almost murdered.

She dreamed of the black cat as he saved lives until dawn. And when the sun began peeking over the horizon, when Paris was awakening and all was well, only then did the black cat trot home with one last took at the sky and longing in his enchanting green eyes.

Marinette wondered if the black cat didn't want to go home. 

//

"Marinette!" called Alya as she climbed the steps to the front of the school that Monday morning. "It's still so weird to see you here before me. You're supposed to be late, girl!" 

Yes, she was supposed to be late. Her mistake. 

"Well, I don't want to miss class, right?" She laughed. 

"Yeah," Alya smiled. "Guess not."

They headed inside and met up with Nino. Adrien wasn't there yet.

But when Mrs. Bustier began the class right after the bell rang, the door burst open and the model ran inside, muttering an apology to the teacher. Wow, he really was late every day. At least half of the class giggled - Chloe immediately clinging to Adrien and telling him how glad she was that he was there, and the boy pushing her off of him with a smile. 

The day passed uneventfully and when lunch time finally rolled around, Marinette was eager to get out of there. She ran home - checking both ways before she crossed the street - and decided on a pastry when she entered the bakery. She ran up to her room and dropped off her backpack before backtracking and telling her parents she was going for a walk. 

She wanted to learn a bit more about her surroundings just in case, but she also just wanted to get out for awhile. Her life was kind of a routine, besides the world-saving gig. 

She finished her pastry in no time and proceeded to check out nearby shops and restaurants. Paris was a beautiful city with nice people - and Marinette had to laugh when she saw a gift shop entirely dedicated to her and Chat Noir. 

Marinette was about to turn back home when she heard a voice from behind her. "Marinette!

She had never seen Chat Noir as frantic as he had been then. 

"Marinette - oh, my God, are you okay? You aren't hurt? I saw you fall - Marinette," he stuttered over his words, grasping her shoulders and yanking her to his chest, holding her close. "I'm so glad you're safe."