30

Marinette woke up on time. For once, she wasn't late to school.

   Her parents were rather surprised when she skipped into the kitchen that morning, a smile on her face like nothing had been wrong the day before. Inside, she was still aching, but on the outside she would be strong. Today, she would be strong.

   Marinette grabbed a croissant and flew down the stairs and through the bakery and then out the front door, turning towards school.

   It felt strange to know that Chat would be watching her today, but she wouldn't know who he was or where he was or if actually he was even there. But the Chat Noir jacket was draped across her shoulders, and she wore it proudly, not because it was her creation but because it was Chat's jacket.

   She looked both ways before crossing the street, and walked up to school like it was a normal day. She made it to the steps and Alya and Nino ran for her like she was an anomaly.

   "Hey, girl. Where were you yesterday? We missed you." Alya said. Nino nodded in agreement.

   "I, uh, I just wasn't feeling well." Marinette said.

   "Well, I'm glad you're feeling better. And I'm glad you're early, for once."

   Marinette laughed, it was a hearty laugh, and for a moment she actually felt it. She felt confidence. But she didn't know where it came from.

   The trio went inside and sat down. Adrien wasn't there yet, but he was usually late just like she was. Mrs. Bustier happened to already be there as well, and most of the class was present already. Chloe sat in the front of the class next to Sabrina, bragging about something new, not that Marinette cared very much. She was sick of Chloe, and she didn't care at all for what Chloe was doing.

   Kim and Alex were arguing about something or other, and Max was between them trying to calm them down. Honestly, it was so obvious Alex and Kim liked each other and it was almost tempting to just tell them so, but Marinette didn't want to interfere.

   Mylene and Ivan were sitting next to each other looking at something on their desk. Her class altogether seem to be in jovial spirits, and that made Marinette happy, even if she really wasn't.

   At that moment, Adrien walked inside. It surprised Marinette a little bit that he wasn't late, but what shocked her further was how sickly he looked. 

   Adrien looked horrible. His clothes were rumpled, like he didn't bother to dress properly that morning, and there were dark bags under his eyes. His eyes were at the floor as he walked in, holding his bag tightly. She worried about him, even if it wasn't the same as it used to be.

   It was when he glanced up at her that she felt something was definitely wrong.

   His eyes, his eyes looked so cold to her, and it hurt. She felt like she could feel his pain. And she wondered if something had happened. Adrien was always so cheerful, so kind, that this Adrien she saw was a stranger. 

   Her eyebrows rose in question, and she tilted her head as if to ask him what was wrong. He only looked away and sat down. Even Nino glanced up at her with an expression as if to say what the heck.

   Marinette shared glances with Alya, and her friend appeared just as confused as she was.

   Adrien was perfect. He was always dressed properly, he never had bags under his eyes, and he always seem to be smiling, glad to be there. But today was different. He looked destroyed.

   "Adrien, are you okay?" She asked him hesitantly.

   He shook his head without even looking at her, hardly acknowledging her existence. It didn't offend her and if anything it just made her worry more. Again her, Alya, and Nino all shared a glance. Something had happened.

   This time Nino tried to say something, and Adrien shook him off. In fact, he ended up shaking everyone off that tried to speak to him. Even the teacher.

   She had taken the cat jacket off in class because it wasn't cold and set it on the seat next to her, but when lunch break began and she stood up  with the jacket on,  Adrien looked at her as if she was insane. As if he couldn't believe something.

   "What's wrong?" Marinette asked.

   Adrien shook his head. "Nothing. Never mind. Forget it."

   That was the most he'd spoken all day. And he'd spoken it to her.

//

   When she got home after classes that day she went straight to bed, her new found confidence completely depleted. Nothing meaningful happened besides what was wrong with Adrien, and all that did was make her feel worse.

   Tikki floated just above her, a concerned look on her tiny face. "Marinette, you can't hide forever."

   "I'm not. I went to school today, didn't I?"

   "Yes, but..."

   Marinette's kwami didn't seem to know what to say, and instead sat on the pillow next to her head. "Marinette..."

   "What?"

   "Please don't shut me out."

   Marinette sat bolt upright in her bed and faced her kwami. "I'm not, I didn't mean -"

   "No, it's okay," Tikki said. "I get it. You're sad, and upset, and heartbroken, and I know you don't mean to shut me out... I don't blame you for anything. You weren't supposed to tell him, Marinette. You were doing what you had to." 

   She shook her head. "I only wish that he understood. But I know that if he were in my position, he would have told me. He would have told Ladybug who he was."

   "What do you think that means?" Tikki asked.

   "I don't know. Maybe...maybe he just loves me more than I love him."

   Tikki flew up and held her nose in her fins. "No, Marinette. That's not what that means. It means that you are more careful than he is, and you didn't want to dally with things that weren't meant to happen."

   Marinette didn't know what to think.

   "He still loves you, you know. He could never stop loving you, not for anything. Don't be upset. He'll come around. He's only hurt, Marinette. But pain always fades with time."

Okay, here's a special second update. I hate it. It sucks. And I don't say this so you guys will tell me that no, it doesn't suck, your writing is great. I say it because I actually think it sucks and I don't think it's written well. 

Well, this was also a filler. And it was short.

Sorry.